Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS2000/5 vs. Rebop 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lockout, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Has anyone compared these two basses?

I currently own an NS2000/5, and it's an okay bass, but I've got my eye on a used Rebop 5 that's up for auction. Before deciding whether to bid or not, I thought I'd ask TB. What do you think? I have very little experience with Rebops, so this would be a bit of a gamble for me.

How do they compare in sound, playability, and general quality? For those of you who have played both, which do you prefer?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They are basically better overall, but, its not a HUGE step up from a NS2000/5. Might wanna save up for a Czech spector.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, if I was going to buy it new, I would. But since the bass I'm looking at is used and (currently) going for a pretty decent price, I thought I'd see if I can get a nice deal out of it.

The reason I'm looking for comparisons is because I don't think I'd keep both basses if I ended up winning the auction. I'd want to sell whichever one I like less.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Repops are Czech.

5. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    ReBop 5's are Czech, mm hmm. I haven't compared them but I can give a few details. They are EXTREMELY solid basses, built to last. Probably the most comfortable bass I've played. Absolutely huge neck, very comfortable in my opinion. The EMG - HZ's, and the Aguilar 1 ( I think? ) give millions of tones.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Haven't played a ReBop5......however, I own a Spector NS5CR (the Czech neck-thru model), and a REX 2000/5.

The Czech Neckthru is a better instrument, playability they were about the same, build quality and hardware the Czech was better too. However, my Korean REX is one helluva bass.

Now if memory serves, the ReBop has EMG Hz pickups, to as it is a bolt on, it will probably sound the same as your current bass - but with more treble/attack (assuming your bass is neck thru....).

If you're not gonna spend a lot of money on it, it's probably a worthwhile investment - you can never have too many Spectors in your collection (I've sold another 3 Czech ones over the years!). But I don't think it'll give you a whole lot more than you already have.

I'm tempted to say save your money and get a Neck Thru Czech model
    as I think they're better basses - but I'm very fond of the feel and sound of my neckthru Spectros......so quite biased in my opinion!

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Well, I decided to give it a shot. The auction just ended with me on top. I'll report back to this thread in a week or two when the UPS guy drops it off.

The main things I don't like about my NS2000/5 are that it's incredibly heavy, and that the back of the neck tends to get 'sticky' (not actually sticky, the friction of the finish just makes it hard to slide my hand on it), especially if I'm sweating.

I've also heard that neckthrough basses bring out the fundamental frequencies more than bolt-ons, especially in the low range. Is this true? If so, it would make sense, because my Spector's E and B strings seem very bassy and loud, compared to my other bass. (Ibanez EDA-905) They are so strong that the E string and especially the B string will start to distort my amp long before the other 3, whereas it's not as big of an issue with my Ibanez.

I don't know for sure that the Rebop will solve any of these issues, but I'll find out soon enough. :) Even if the Rebop is just marginally better than the NS2000, I'll be happy, because I'll probably be able to earn back most of the money I spent by selling the NS2000/5, either here or on eBay.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    czech neckthru*

9. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I just did a comparison. The 2005 is HEAVY like you said. I had a ReBop for a few days and I liked it, it just didn't have the sound I was going for. Returned it for a CZECH 5LX and I loved that a lot but it weighs the same as my 2005 and that is the main function of my trial, loose weight. I am not partial to the Tone Pump preamp, I like some cut not just boost. So I am sending it back and making the jump to a US JH-5EX with a Spalted Maple Top and an EMG BQC tone curcuit. The main focus of my trials were to find a lighter alternative to my 2005, that said.

The Rebop is a solid bass, if you like lighter you dig it for that fact alone. The Euro LX is almost the exact weight of the 2005, at least the one I have is. So if lighter is what you want stay away from the Euro LX.

I have spent about 200 dollars in shipping to find all of this out.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I played a Rebop 4 a while ago, and it was probably the lightest bass I've ever played. It was an absolute feather. But, unlike some light basses, this thing felt like it could take a ton of abuse, and just come crawling back for more. Some light basses just feel frail. This thing felt like I could throw it across the room and it wouldn't go out of tune.

If they made a Rebop 4 with a 1.75" nut, I'd not think twice about buying one.

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    That's good to hear.

How do the two compare in sound? Does the Alder/Maple/Aguilar combination of the Rebop give it a different range of tones than the NS2000's Maple/Maple/EMG? Or do they sound pretty similar?

12. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    The Rebop I had, had the EMG/HZ Tone Pump preamp combo. I am not one for the boost only pre's. It sounded ok. I have 40CS and 40DC with BQC system in my NS/2005 and it sounds SO GOOD. I wish it didn't weight 9 1/2 pounds.

13. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Spectors are quite good at taking abuse.. I abuse mine, even though I try not too..

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. My NS2000/5 was really more of an offensive weapon than an instrument.

15. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yah I hear ya..

16. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I own both a NS2000/5 neck thru and a Neck Thru CZECH 5 string. I love them both. I mostly play the Czech spector and use the 2000/5 as a back up. The ns2000/5 is much heavier then my Eruo 5 string. The sound on both of the basses is really good. Although the czech does have better tone. I heard if you replace the EMG-HZ with EMG 40DC's and throw an aggie pre amp in the NS2000/5 you can the tone pretty much the same as the euro basses. The neck on my eruo is thicker. Both of these beasts have great sustain. I love spectors.

17. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    My Rebop 5 finally arrived yesterday, so I thought I'd do a little comparison. First off, here are some pictures of it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3749676701

The black oil finish is really nice... looks a little Warwick-ish.

Overall I think you guys did a pretty good job comparing the Rebop to the NS2000/5. The Rebop is definitely a LOT lighter than the NS2000. I like the neck of the Rebop better too; it's easier for my hand to slide around on it. Another thing I've noticed is that the frets in the Rebop seem to be slightly smaller, unless I'm just imagining it.

In terms of sound, I like the Rebop better, too. It seems a bit more beefy, and it cuts through better than the NS2000. One thing I didn't like about the NS2000 was that the D and G strings had a thinner sound than the other 3, and they got lost in the mix pretty easily. The Rebop doesn't seem to have this problem.

Now, the things that I don't like:

1. The Spector bridge. I can't stand it on either bass; I get frustrated every time I want to adjust it. The one on the Rebop also seems to scratch pretty easily.
    2. The string spacing. It's a little bit narrow for me.
    3. The sound isn't quite what I'm looking for.

As much as I like the Rebop, I'm not sure if it's really the right bass for me. I'm pretty sure that I will be selling the NS2000/5, and I will probably keep the Rebop for a while, but I might still buy the bass I was originally saving up for (Lakland Skyline JO5) to see how it compares.

18. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    The string spacing is close.. It frusterated me at the beginning, but now I very happy - and comfortable - with it. I like the strings a bit close, atleast on a 5 string.

19. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Which pickup is where (neck-bridge)? Just got the BQC and have two 40DCs, loving it so far...

20. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    The CS is in the neck and the DC is in the bridge. The BQC smoothes it out so much.