Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS2000 Q5 or Lakland Skyline 55-01 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Feb 1, 2003.

1. I play Metal primarily, so my bass needs to have fat ass I mean a PHAT BOTTOM :D

I haven't heard these 2 basses, mind you. Other than Metal, I play classical, so my bass needs to have a good all around tone.

I had kinda decided on the Spector for a while, then my eyes landed on this beautiful Skyline...and all those knobs..and the word "Bartolini" hahaha.

Spector:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...6140653470/search/g=home/detail/base_id/41390

Skyline:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030201160519198081026140653470/search/g=home?q=Skyline+55-01

I'd wager a pretty penny the Skyline sounds a hella lot better..what do you guys think?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Check out Harmony-central.com for some reviews and see what kind of stuff people are playing with them. I have a spector myself and play in a worship band sometimes, and it works great. Then I go home and play a bit of punk, then I play some hard rock, then I play some acoustic. All with the same bass. The EMG-HZ's are suprisingly good, and the electronics are more versatile then I ever thought possible. But definitely give the lakland a chance. I haven't played one, so I couldn;t tell you a lot about that one. But if you have a chance, A-B the two, and see which works best. Good luck!

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I own the Q5 and I love the thing! It has some nice kicking bottom end and clear punchy highs. If REX uses a spector its gotta be good for metal right? lol:D

4. Thanks.

Spector it is..damn..I liked that Skyline body style :D

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    if you play metal, get the spector.

Barts are to muddy for metal,,, i mean, IMHO. alot of people like them though. but nothing beats the spector "sizzle". tons of low end and they cut thru the mix like no ones business.

6. I've never played the Spector, as I have a Rex and know it is good for metal. But then again, I've never played a Lakland. But I'd get the neck through Spector, the NS 2000/5, while they are still available. I prefer neck through to bolt on, and it is $50 cheaper, when neck throughs are generally more expensive.

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    AH yes, i forgot to add this, good heads up! The neck thru is much better than the bolt on, but it's a little bit more money.... IMO you can't go wrong with ANY spector, Allodox just picked up a bolt on Q5(or 4) and he says it rocks....or at least i think he did....in any case, SPECTORS KICK "A"!!!

8. No, the neck through is actually less money on Musiciansfriend. The only problem is that the only colour they have available is black, which may or may not float your boat.

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    It seems everytime anything remotely Spector-related pops up, the same little group of us pops up like a crazy cult lol. What do you say we start the "spectorholics anonymous" group eh pollybass?:D

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    AGREED!

I still say it's mighty funny i have yet to own one.... bot god, Ive wanted to own a spector ever since i can remember....money problems.... I love spectors, look at the cactlog every single second,,, craving ALL of them.....drool..... You know what sucks about thos new czech made spectors? 9 volt!!!...oh well, 18 volt surgery will do i suppose.....

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned both basses & they're both great for the style of music you're looking for.

The Bartolini's in the 55-01 are the MK-1 pickup's & pre-amp that are manifactured in Korea & sound NOTHING like what you are describing. They are very EMG sonding, IMO & have "tons of low end and they cut thru the mix like no ones business."

Also, another point. The string spacing on the spector is tighter then the LAkland. IMO, the Lakland neck feels ALOT BETTER hands down!!!!

12. Thanks Nino aka "The Bass Slut"

:D

I think I'm going with the Spector. Thanks bud :D

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Obviously, this man has gone insane, please ignore him.:D

14. the string spacing on the Lakland is the deciding factor for me. Play them both!

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    LMAO!!!!!!:D :cool:

16. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    ... geez, when is Nino not going to make a good point?!

P@

17. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Get the Spector. I have two. Won't play anything else. Nuff said!

:D

Edit: Garrett, I thought you had already decided on a red Q4?