Spector NS2000 Q5 or NS2000/5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Neck through has a smaller body, 2 band EQ, and comes in the color jet black, which is a bonus for me.

But the Q5 is a bit bigger, it says it has "Active Controls" (unlike the neck thru), and has the same number of knobs, 4, as the neck thru, so i guess it only has a 2 band EQ also.

Then again EQ isn't a problem, my Ampeg will have 3 band EQ.

Do you guys think the NS2000/5 or Q5 is better?

Oh, the Q5 comes in Quilted Maple, but not the color I want. it's a black with weird stuff on it..but that is ok.
  2. Definitely get the neck through. They come with a genuine EMG BTS preamp. The B string is a lot fuller to boot, and the tone just kicks the pants off the Q5. I like Bolt-On basses, such as MTD, G&L or Musicman, but at this price range a neck through gets you the TONE. It just drips out of the bass.
  3. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I own the four-string version, and it's great. Both of the basses have an EMG-BTC (not BTS) in them (active bass/tremble). My only complaint about the bass is the pickups. They are terrible. They are EMG-HZ pickups--Passive Humbuckers, and they have the crappiest tone I've ever heard. Slapping some EMG Extended Series ACTIVE pickups in there will make the bass sound GREAT.

I JUST checked their web-site, and they removed the Professional Series Neck-thru from their site! I don't know where they went or if they offer that specific model of bass anymore. Hmmmm....

4. No, a BTC is a Concentric control. The BTS has separate bass and treble. The Q5 does have BTS in it.

Maybe the 2000/5's have been replaced fully with Rebops?
  5. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    My bad! I had it in my mind that the "S" was for "system"--they offer some kind system for complete active controls--something to do with blending the active pickups together or something.

Anywho. The Re-Bops are quite a step-up in price from the NS2000 neck-thrus, price-wise. I think BassNW sells the Re-Bop for like $1000 or so while the neck-thru is about $700+ or so. I e-mailed Spector to see if they even offer the neck-thrus anymore. I'll let you know what they say.

6. Spector no longer makes the neck through NS2000/4 and 5. They still make the bolt on. I received this info from spector by email a few days ago.

Some shops still have neck through models in stock while supplies last.
  7. ARGH

I don't even have a job yet! And my plan was to get my Ampeg BA-115 so I'll be loud enough to join a band..then once I pay that off I'd order my Spector.

But now I'd have to order the Spector first..pay that off..THEN get the amp..THEN join a band..but I don't want to wait any longer.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Just do what our die hard drummer did to get his sonor drum set. Get a loan.... yeah, sounds stupid huh? well, it probably is. Lay-away..... Money problems suck, i'm glad i'm at a point now (after forever it seems) i'm content with my gear. I would get the spector first, then, if all your wanting is big tone, and to be heard, look into a carvin combo. CHEAPO power, and not to bad of a tone for the money either.
  9. Nah, because all my idols use Ampeg, and it just seems liek the best choice for me.

I'll wind up with one anyway...so it'll be cheaper in the long run to get the BA-115 to begin with.

It's 100w by the way.

But for an extra $100 I could upgrade to 220w...hmm...thats loud..lol
  10. I am very fond of the neck thru sound of the Spectors! I would suggest you get the neck thru if at all possible.

Another option is the REX2000/5 (I've got one, in that black colour with weird stuff - Holoflash, which I really like!). It's neck thru, EMG BTS preamp - which I and some others here have modded to run at 18 volts, 2 EMG-Hz pups (whcih I really like - they run the EMG DC40s pretty close!).

It is of course a different shape - like a smoothed off explorer - but it's real nice. I believe that the colour schemes incolve a transparent colour over quilted maple (which I really like too).

Just my thoughts on the matter!:)
  11. The REX body shapes no long come in colour finishes, except for Black stain and Holoflash black. The Bolt-on US Spectors don't come in Black Cherry anymore either. The Czech models have a new tobacco burst which I think will look hot.

Looks to me like Stuart has started losing all his least-popular finishes and saving costs.

But what I wanna know is, has Aguilar refused to supply Spector or something? None of the basses use the OBP-1 anymore, only a new Spector tone circuit. If this is the same circuit as on the US neck through's then we're all in luck, as that is better than anything on the market (Sadowsky and Aguilar aside). But I don't think it it, it might be a lower standard. If that's the case, then I might prefer the OBP-1. Although, the fact I could never cut anything with the Aggy bothered me.

I'm gonna go post in the Luthier's Corner about this new Spector circuit.
  12. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    This is no knock on any Rex Brown fan, but does HE get a signature series bass? His playing isn't anything I can't do (nor any bass player, novice or pro) and his music isn't what I would call "ground breaking". Go figure...

Also, it's kind of sad that there aren't more of today's "great" bass players that promote Spector basses. They're great!!! Very under-rated amongst professional players.

13. You don't have to be "ground breaking". Just popular.

And Jason Newsted uses Spector 5 strings. But boy...that man loves his Sadowsky's!

Can't blame him though :D
  14. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    It's not everyday people are like "hey--you heard any Rex Brown?!?!?"

15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Like Johnny Boom Boom said...slap another 9v battery in series on the tone circuit, and those HZs will sing like you wouldn't believe!

Garrett: If you can get a neck thru, then go for it...I have both, as you know, but if I had to give one up, it would be the bolt on, the neck thru is my main bass...just better feel and tone...
  16. Most people don't even walk around going 'You heard any Jaco?'.

Signatures aren't about how good the player is, or how well received they are. Look at the Fender Mark Hoppus. It's about the cash they can generate. Rex Brown + Spector is a beautiful deal, Rex gets great, free basses and Spector get some hard rock recognition. They don't just slap it on the new MTV star (Nickleback + Warwick) and make oodles of cash.
  17. I thought the dude in Nickleback used Spectors? Isnt he on the website?

anyhoooooooo, I think the pickups in the Spectors sound great - I too made my REX 18V.

I"m glad I got my black cherry czech bass too, if they are discontinuing that - its my favorite color. Glad I got my REX in blue too :)

I think that sucks there are no more Professional series neck throughs - they were like the best deal on the market!! And the REX's, I hate the black stain and am no fan of the holoflash.
  18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, the website says he does play spectors, and whos him playing one. but the only time ive actully seen him play, he uses warwicks. Mayhaps he takes out a spector every once and a while to play a show?
  19. When the signature model was made he was...and it still sells so obviously they still make it.
  20. One the newest video he uses Warwicks. I saw them live for free last year, and he was using a Czech Spector, but I'm pretty sure he's jumped ship to Warwick.