Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector ns2000 q5 pre?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kael, May 22, 2005.

1. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Posted same question over in the bass forum, but since it regards the preamp, thought I might get a better response here. Query below...

I just picked up one of these for next to nothing. Do not really need it, but it was seriously inexpensive so what the heck. Regarding the internal tone switches, does anyone know what settings produce which EQ settings? If there is a link to an EQ "chart" of some sort that would be appreciated. They are not readily accessible and I'd like to verify what my ears are hearing with some documentation (preferably from the manufacturer).
    Thanks in advance

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The internal Tone Circuit is an EMG BTS. The .pdf of the spec sheet would have the settings for the dip switch. If you have problems downloading it, PM me and I'll e-mail it to you.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    PM me your e-mail address, and I will send you an MS Word document with the answers you seek.

-Mike

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Here is an exerpt of the document:

If you look closely at the DIP switch package, you'll see that the two switches are clearly marked. In addition, one position of the switch will be marked "ON" or "1". In this diagram, SW1 is on, and SW2 is off.

Here are the switch settings for each of the different voicings. Note that the BT (bass+treble) and BQ (bass+treble+mid) systems have slightly different frequency centers.
    EMG BT Voicing Options
    SW1 SW2 Knee Freq
    on on 2.1 kHz
    off on 3.5 kHz
    on off 4.5 kHz (default)
    off off 7.0 kHz

-Mike

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have that document too, but they don't offer it anymore since they changed from EMGinc.com to emgpickups.com...a mistake, IMHO.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks guys, PMs sent. This bass sounds surpringly decent for the $150 I paid for it. Won't become my main instrument, but makes for a nice secondary option.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Let me get this straight...you only paid $150 for a Q5? Outstanding!!! Great deal!