Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS2000Q5 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Jan 16, 2006.

1. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Hi All!
    Probably my question was discussed many times already. I want to improve sound of my bass.
    I have EMG HZ pickups on my bass and active tone controls, don't know much about it. I was thinking of chaning HZ's for another EMG pickups,I noticed that on many expencieve Spectors they use EMG 40DC, so maybe I can make my Spector sound better by this kind of change. I saw many different types of EMG's on their web-site and I'm not quite sure which I have to choose. Also I would to know if changing of active tone control will make a big difference? I was thinking of Aguilar preamp or one of EMG systems.
    Thanks!
    Just for information I play acid jazz , disco and funk music.

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    If you do a search, you'll find that there are indeed many different threads discussing this subject.

My advice would be to check out the extended range pickups on the EMG site to see what the different characteristics are and see if the descriptions match what you're looking for. Better yet, if you have an opportunity to play an instrument with them in it so you can hear them, even better.

My personal choice was to go for a 40DC at the neck and a 40CS at the bridge. I also went with the three band EMG EQ, the one with the sweepable mid.

3. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I did search, found some reviews, so now I'm thinking of putting EMG 40P as a neck pickup and EMG 40TW as a bridge pickup and also EMG BQS System looks impressive. The only thing I don't realy like - master volume and blend knobs, as I allways had separate volume for each of the pickups, but maybe it's not a big deal.
    Is it a good choice?

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    You want the EMG BQC Control, not the BQS http://emgpickups.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Accessories&categoryid=33&catalogid=105

This will allow you to use the volume controls that ship with the EMG pickups, and you just have to wire in the tone controls from the BQC.