Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS2002B vs NS2000/Q4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFT, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Hi all,

After all I read here on this forum I had some expectation of tonal quality of a Spector bass (even their low-end).

I went to a store today finally tested one, I really liked the neck and the balance but the tone was a huge deception.

It was a NS2002B, the one with two passive EMG ssg (passive soapbar) each with a simple tone control.

Is it worth tracking a store which holds NS2000-Q4? Is it a big improvement tonewise over the NS-2002B?

Thanks

2. Anyone?

I did search the archive before posting but didn't find an answer.

Everybody keep raving about the Czech and USA Spector. Does the Korean made one have a significant edge, tone wise, against the China one?

Thanks

3. *bump*

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi - the Korean ones have different pickups, that much I know! The Koreans are all equiupped with EMG Hz pickups - an EMG pickups for manufacturers to install only. They are passive but all the Korean Spectors I know of have an active EQ (EMG). The N2002B that you have has passive EMG SSD pickups - a collaboration of EMG and Spector creating a pickup.

Also, the wood used may make a difference to the tone - the N2002B that you have is an alder body, the Korean bass has a maple/basswood body! (The REX2000/5 that I have has a solid maple body and it is neck thru - it reall sounds good!)

If you're disappointed in the sound, you have a couple of options:-
    1. Find a store that carries the NS2000-Q4 and trade in if you have enough money
    2. Upgrade the pickups - maybe to EMGs or something similar - this may nelp, but in the long run you might be better with a Korean model in the first place!

5. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Never heard the N2002, but I have heard a NS2000/Q5 and it sounded amazing...it had that really bassy hi-fi, studio recorded sound(no growl by the way if your looking for that) and he cranked up the treble and it had the most amazing slap tone(the guy is a big slapper and he actually uses it in the music he plays instead of just showing off)...but its an amazing bass for $600 new...made me wonder why I payed upper $700 for a used Rick...mines prettier...

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My REX has the nice studio recorded sound - and the growl when you want it too!!

7. The NS-2000Q has a better quality body wood than the NS-2000B and an active onboard EQ.

8. I got the Q4, got it for 400 brand new on Ebay. Great tone, I definitely suggest it, but I keep having to clean the pots they start to get real scratchy after a few months.