1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector NS2002B vs NS2000/Q4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JFT, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Hi all,

After all I read here on this forum I had some expectation of tonal quality of a Spector bass (even their low-end).

I went to a store today finally tested one, I really liked the neck and the balance but the tone was a huge deception.

It was a NS2002B, the one with two passive EMG ssg (passive soapbar) each with a simple tone control.

Is it worth tracking a store which holds NS2000-Q4? Is it a big improvement tonewise over the NS-2002B?

Thanks

2. Anyone?

I did search the archive before posting but didn't find an answer.

Everybody keep raving about the Czech and USA Spector. Does the Korean made one have a significant edge, tone wise, against the China one?

Thanks

3. *bump*

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi - the Korean ones have different pickups, that much I know! The Koreans are all equiupped with EMG Hz pickups - an EMG pickups for manufacturers to install only. They are passive but all the Korean Spectors I know of have an active EQ (EMG). The N2002B that you have has passive EMG SSD pickups - a collaboration of EMG and Spector creating a pickup.

Also, the wood used may make a difference to the tone - the N2002B that you have is an alder body, the Korean bass has a maple/basswood body! (The REX2000/5 that I have has a solid maple body and it is neck thru - it reall sounds good!)

If you're disappointed in the sound, you have a couple of options:-
    1. Find a store that carries the NS2000-Q4 and trade in if you have enough money
    2. Upgrade the pickups - maybe to EMGs or something similar - this may nelp, but in the long run you might be better with a Korean model in the first place!

5. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Never heard the N2002, but I have heard a NS2000/Q5 and it sounded amazing...it had that really bassy hi-fi, studio recorded sound(no growl by the way if your looking for that) and he cranked up the treble and it had the most amazing slap tone(the guy is a big slapper and he actually uses it in the music he plays instead of just showing off)...but its an amazing bass for $600 new...made me wonder why I payed upper $700 for a used Rick...mines prettier...

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My REX has the nice studio recorded sound - and the growl when you want it too!!

7. The NS-2000Q has a better quality body wood than the NS-2000B and an active onboard EQ.

8. I got the Q4, got it for 400 brand new on Ebay. Great tone, I definitely suggest it, but I keep having to clean the pots they start to get real scratchy after a few months.