Spector NS4 CRFM question..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleshmallet, Sep 10, 2002.

1. fleshmallet

May 19, 2002

Lurked for a while, but this is my first post.

I was wondering if any of the Spector gurus out there could help. I was thinking of purchasing a NS4 CRFM, and want to make sure the one I am looking at has the newer Aguilar preamp, rather than the EMG one.

Can anyone recommend a method of telling the two apart (without opening up the bass of course).

The only way I can think is that since the Aguilar ones are effectively boost only, that the EMG preamp Spectors may "click" when they're in the middle position, whereas the Aguilar ones don't.

Anyone have any other bright ideas?

Oh and.. what is peoples opinions of these Spectors in terms of balance and neckdive?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You got it. The EMG have a center indent & the Aguilar dosen not.

I've never had a problem with my Spectors neck-diving. The only problem I've had is that they are SOOO HEAVY. :)
  3. *ding*

Right on the money! I agree completely.
  4. I new that the EMG preamp had a centre indent - but didn't know about the Aguilar!!!!

Regarding weight - yes they are heavy, but worth it!!!

Neck dive I have only found to be an issue on the REX body shape, never on the NS4CR or 5CR, so I doubt you'll have any problems! The balance on these basses is nice!

Enjoy picking yourself a good one!!!!
  5. Mine is certainly balanced well. Yeah, they are heavy! That's what maple likes to be.
    Mine is a USA one, still for sale. You don't find EMG or Aguilar in it though, ya find the HAZLAB, baby!
    I haven't a/b-ed it with the aguilar equiped ones, but it has more bottom than the EMG preamps. Lots of presence.
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    as for the weight....you'll get used to it!

i thought it was ridiculously heavy for the first...few months.

it took some time, but it started feeling heavy after awhile.

so weight shouldn't be a deterrant (unless you have a good reason for it to be).
  7. Buy Ad's- I've played it, it kicks some major a$$.