1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector NS4 Redwood Burl or buckeye Burl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GraffixNyc, May 30, 2007.

1. Redwood Burl

28 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Buckeye Burl

24 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Ok, Spector was making me a redwood burl ns4 bass but the wings fell apart in the building process which they said is common with exotic tops. Now they presented me with the option of getting different redwood burl wings (the first set that fell apart were BEAUTIFUL) or buckeye burl wings.
    What do you guys think? Anyone hear the sound differences between the two? if you had to choose between a NS4 buckeye burl or Redwood Burl(which is a limited edition bass) which would it be?

2. I'd love to see some pictures of the old and new woods (if you got any) ;)

3. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah Pics would help. No pics, no vote.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    They're both going to be thin tops (so long as they're like the average Spector top) and should pretty much impart no tonal change at all- basically you should pick out which you think is prettier. I almost always prefer buckeye burl unless it's a very dark piece, but that's just me.

5. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
  6. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    I'd still stick with redwood. I love dark woods.

7. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    honestly I don't like burls... they always look like barf to me... I like curly woods the best, then flame, then spalted, then quilted, then crotched, then plain, then solid color... and eventually burl.

8. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    ok.. they gave me yet another option.. spalted maple.. so it's either redwood, buckeye or spalted.. I find of am leaning towards the redwood. I'll post a pic of the wings when they send it to me. here is a pic of the spalted wings offered to me
    spalt_2311.jpg

9. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    nice spalt man

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    That spalt looks great! That is what I would go with!

11. +1. Basically exactly the same order I'd put them in. (What's the difference between flame and curly? :confused: )

OMG! Get the spalted!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I love spalted maple. And I don't like burl. So there,

12. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City

decsions decsions.. lol what I like about the redwood burl is the dark wood and also that it's a limited edition. on the bright side of getting the spalted I'll save ,$1000 over the buckeye and redwood which I could use to get another Euro 5

hmmmmmm I don't know what to do!!!

lol

13. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Ok.. I know you guys like the spalt. but they sent me a pic of the new redwood wings.. I'm going with this one!!!!!

wcrwWO829.jpg

14. They both are beautiful but I like the Buckeye Burl the most.

15. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    yum yum. with the high polish finish, it will really shine.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021