1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector NS4CR lacking midrange - preamp change?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bruiser Growler, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Bruiser Growler

Bruiser Growler

Jan 9, 2017
    National Pancake Institute
    Hello. So I realize this topic has been brought up before, but I'm asking something a little more specific. I have a Spector NS4CR from 1999 or 2000, and I find it to be extremely lacking in lower midrange. I've tried boosting the midrange in my amps, and used an outboard preamp as well without much success at getting the tone I'm looking for. Would changing to a 3 band preamp with midrange such as the emg bqc system help with this? Or is the lack of midrange more to do with the construction, tonewoods, etc? I loved the Spector sound years ago when I bought it. Perfect heavy low end for rock/metal/etc. I'm playing some different styles now though and am looking for more of a warm lower midrange tone, kind of like an active Fender PJ or jazz bass. But I love the modern design of the Spector. I'm hoping I can get a sound closer to that out of this bass. Any idea if the preamp swap will help with this? Or do I just need a different bass entirely? I'm open to any other suggestions. Thanks.

2. GesusBass

GesusBass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Head over to the Spector owners club and ask. A bunch of great guys and very knowledgeable about all things Spector

3. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    +1, those folks are obsessive and love to share what they know about all things Spector.

4. Bruiser Growler

Bruiser Growler

Jan 9, 2017
    Cool beans. Thank you gentlemen.

5. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Are you boosting the EQ on the bass ? If you are dont. Especially if its a Tonepump which is boost only .

6. Bruiser Growler

Bruiser Growler

Jan 9, 2017
    Nope, I keep the preamp off. It is a tonepump. I thought about changing it to a 3 band preamp, but instead tried out a MXR 10 band equalizer pedal, and that did the trick just fine. So, problem solved, bingo bango, boomadango!!!

AdamR likes this.