Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS4CR vs MM stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by streamer, Apr 10, 2001.

1. ok guys i get my insurance money back from my stolen warwick and have decided to try a diff company. it's down to the NS4CR or 'ray. Ive always wanted a MM but the Spector for so cheap is calling to me(699 at MF or 899 with flame maple). any opinions for me? i play rock(weezer, foo fighters style). I play through an old Peavey tube head and my SVT 810E comes this wknd. thanks

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Which Peavey tube head? T-Max?

And I don't know; I found that 'ray's get a really "in your face" sound, and I've heard that spectors are pretty much the exact opposite. So, it's kinda a subjective question.

3. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Both will get the job done. Try to compare them in some place. Back in the day, I chose Stingray over top-of-the-line US spector, but that is just because i don't like the feel of their necks and i just wanted The Stingray Sound. Still, i think spectors are "finer" instruments when it comes to construction. Stingray is more in your face, but the spector does fairly well in slap too. So again, try both and see which one you actually like better.

4. I say go with the NS4CRFM. It's got great sound, great body construction and trust me, you won't be sorry

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you want the Stingray tone, you pretty much need to get the Stingray.

But if you just want a great bass with lots of tonal flexibility, the Spector is worth looking into.

The Stingray is a classic, and has one really great tone which you can change a little with technique and the electronics, but the Spector has many great tones, and is better made than the Stingray, which isn't intended as a slap at Ernie Ball. Stingrays are pretty high quality basses, but the Czech Spectors are a step or 2 beyond in the fit & finish department.

Of course, if the ones at Musician's Friend are blems, they may not be as perfect as the ones that I have seen.

You've chosen to great basses here, and I think that either one of them could make you very happy. Try them both out extensively before you make a decision.

Good luck!:)

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you're looking for opinions, I bet you know where Nino, Mr. Dead, and I stand;)

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Get the Spector. Go for the plain black and save yourself $200. The NS4CR's at MF are older stock, and the 'flamed maple' is not very flamed at all, not at all like the new ones. Other than cosmetic differences, the NS4CR's on sale at MF are the same as the brand new models.

The black looks sharp anyway, and you'll still be getting the same bass. That's possibly the best price on a new NS4CR you will ever see. I wasn't even in the market for one really and I picked one up anyway. I'm pretty happy with it.

The only thing that did not thrill me is I prefer maple fretboards over rosewood. I think all Spectors I have ever seen are rosewood though, so what can ya do?

I have a biased opinion however as I own the NS4CR, but have never found enough I like about the MM's to bother getting one. I own Leo's other creations though. I have a couple of Jazzes and a couple L-2000's, but not the Stingray. IMO, there's nothing the Stingray can do that the L-2000 can't.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You got that right!!!!! I love everything about Spectors from sound, playability right down to customer service!!!!!!

StingRay. All I have to say is I really am not to fond of the sound. It's not for me. I hear a lot of people that use them, & they sound great. I could never get a usable sound in a band situation. They feel & play great. If you play fingerstyle, the PUP is perfect for placing your thumb while playinr the E string. The Satin finish on the neck is awesome!!!! They look GREAT!!!!

After all is said & done, I'd personally recomend the Spector. But you have to play both to really deceide!!!!

9. Right again RAM! I agree that the G&L is better for that neo Fender sound than Music Man. However, for clarity, brilliance, construction and cutting tone, nothing beats Spector. For slapping the MM will work well, but for finger or pick style, the MM just doesn't cut through the mix the way a Spector bass does. My suggestion is (surprise, surprise) SPECTOR!!!

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...maybe I got that wrong. I actually hate Spectors, and thought you and Nino did, too:D LOL

Nino-I have only dealt with Spector once, and did NOT have good customer service. I wish I could tell you differently...

And, there ARE problems with Spectors! I don't care what anybody says! The problems as I see them is that they are TOO well known! If people would stop buying them, Stuart could go back to his little hand-made operation whereby only 150 instruments are made per year, but WITHOUT Czech or Korean models! Then, with supply and demand both dropping, price would follow suit...then, I could afford more Spectors! Then, there would be no problems;)

And, in reference to another debate: My Spector vs. my Fender in sound or tone? Fuggetaboutit! There IS no comparison!

11. OK RAM, ya got me figured out. The only reason I'm always talking Spector is to hide away the real gem. Between you and I and let's keep this to ourselves, the real deal out there is Cort basses. If word gets out that these $200 gems are mistakenly priced instead of the $2000 price tag they deserve, we won't be able to hog all of them to ourselves. Yeah, I know Spector basses are lame. All the suckers that bought these bombs from Musician's Friend. If they only knew!!! LOL

12. I played one of those cr spectors yesterday and I really loved it, I'm gunna get one as soon as I get a few more bucks. The feel is really great and the sound is awsome.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    LOL:D:D:D

Go Ibanez!!!

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Ibanez? Don't lie to them, the real basses are the squire's. I mean, people don't think about it logically, a Fender's only a fender, but then you have the Fender SQUIRE. kinda like how there's a Fender standard and a Fender Deluxe!

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    sarcasm aside, spectors are awesome.

a few months ago, i decided to spend all of my money on a new bass. well, it came down to a stingray-5 and a spector-5. needless to say, i chose the spector.

what i found odd when i was reading your posts was that you said that the tone of a spector is the opposite of the stingray. my ears must really be tone-deaf b/c i bought the spector b/c imo it sounded similar to it, yet with a thinner neck!

16. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I'd say go with the four string spector.Now if you want a 5 I'd go with the ray.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why would you take a 4 string Spector over a Stingray but a 5 string Stingray over a Spector 5?:confused:[​IMG]

18. I second that question!

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I third that question.