Spector NS4CRFM pickup question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaXell, Feb 8, 2004.

1. MaXell

Jan 23, 2004
    I’m still trying to make a decision on the NS4CR I have a small deposit on. It’s the model with the dot inlays, and according to the Spector website, is dated between the years 1994 and 1998. It has the P/J EMG pups, and is marked only as ‘EMG preamp circuit’. For that timeframe, which part would be active? The EQ only, or are the pups also active?

How easy would it be to replace with new EMG's, (or other), should they ever fail. I seem to recall, in a post somewhere that someone had a problem with this as the original pups were non-standard in some way. Sorry, I can't locate the post now, it may not have even been here at Talkbass. TIA

2. MaXell

Jan 23, 2004
    Well, upon further inspection of EMG's website, it appears that the P/J pickups (used for this) are Active and not just the EQ. It looks like EMG doesn't even offer a Passive P/J set. Does this sound correct?

Any thoughts on the upgrade/replacement compatibility issue mentioned above? TIA

3. Lozenger

Feb 26, 2003
    omg thats sooo nice ... da cat not da bass ;) nah only kidding m8, u got a beauty there!
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You're describing the same Spector I have (95-ish).
    Yes, both the pickups and preamp are active. The only non-active stuff I've ever seen from EMG is their cheap import "HZ" and older "Select' series pickups.

I've have not heard of anyone or anything common of the EMG stuff failing on the Spectors. Maybe one bass out of a million, but still unheard of.