Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS4CRFM Versitility

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T.B. Player, Nov 4, 2002.

1. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    Okay I already know how they sound my question is to the owners about their versitility. Do you consider it a better live or studio instrument? Or both? I am considering purchasing one in two days so any comments would be appreciated.

2. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    U get the best of both worlds with this bass. Some people like EMG pickups and some find them very harsh but i think they cut well in a Live mix. For studio recording it's tops (Alice in Chains & Metallica used one) plus they look so cool as a rock bass!!!! Go get one!!! Green Stain is the best colour!

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    What does the CRFM stand for?? Cream fudge mixture???:D

4. That was a 1981 Spector NS 4 string. It has graced a few Ozzy albums, as well.

- Metallica freak

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

It stands for Czech Republic- figured maple. Where the bass is made and the fancy wood for the top:D

Rob

6. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    I have played a U.S. 4 string Spector many times and the EURO sound just the same! the only difference is the build quality on the U.S. Is better.

Can anyone think of any more recordings that used a Spector NS 4?

They very first time i ever seen a Spector NS 4 being used was in the Bon Jovi video Living on a Prayer!!!! How sad, but that bass was so cool.

Worship the Spector bass!!!!!

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have a copy of Mr. Dead's CD/Demo & he uses a spector & it sounds awesome. Rex Brown from Pantera uses Spector's I believe from Far Beyond Driven to present. Alot of 80's hair metal bands used Spector's such as Skid Row, Trixter & others. The guy from NickelBack uses them but I think he recorded with Warwicks before he started playing Spectors.

Also, you could <a href="http://spectorbass.com/NewFiles/gall.html"><B>CLICK HERE</b></a> to see a list from the Spector site of other basses that use them.

8. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Unfortunatly, Mr. Dead is having problems signing on to TB but he tells me this:

9. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Some more Spector sounds on record Time's up & stain by Living Colour. I'm pretty sure both these recording were done with a Spector bass. Some of Stain was done with a Warwick also. Rachel Bolan has always used his Spector for Studio and live. Kip Winger used 2 use onw also (i think).

Why did so many 80's Rock Producer want the spector sound on record? (i take it, it cut through the mix well?) They have kinda fallen in popularity over the years i feel.

I know Sting used a Spector for a while but did he ever record with it?

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have recorded everything on our album - which just might come out this decade if our man get's it mixed (don't go there it's just now worth it) - using my Spector NS5CR.

For live, I'm gonna be using my REX 2000/5 - the NS5CR was my 30th pressie from my wife and is therefore too sentimental to use regularly live. But people will (maybe) get to hear it on our album!

I personally think Spectors are great alrounders - but that's just my opinion!

T.B. Player - I don't think you'll be disappointed by your new bass in the slightest!

11. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Another Spector user in Scotland (Glasgow) I bought a Spector NS5CRFM (Green Stain) the other week at it is the best bass i have ever used!

Good Luck with the band Johnny BoomBoom!!!!!

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i loved my SSD NS5CR, both live and for recordings, great sounding bass!

only 3 things i disliked:

-it was 5 stringed, i feel better playing 4 strings due to some issues with my wacky left wrist
    -it was heavy as hell, i am a big guy but that bass was TOO heavy!!!
    -the back of neck was heavily painted in black, i prefer the feel of a neck finished in the Fender style (not the glassy yellow painted RI neck...) or better an unfinished Warwick one which for me is the best.

said that i'd love to have a NS4CRFM with a custom finish foir the back of neck and with this oil natural finish!!!

[​IMG]

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Mine was pre- Figured Maple tops, 34" and dot inlays - but I sure would like a new NS5CRFM!! Where did you get yours? I had to get mine ordered through sound control!

Thanks for the luck - we might need it! If you're not doing anything on Jan 12th next year - we're playing at King Tut's, you might wanna drop in! (Then again, maybe not!):)

14. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    "If you're not doing anything on Jan 12th next year - we're playing at King Tut's, you might wanna drop in!"

I will be there!!

Did Sound Control do u a good deal? (Don't really care for that shop much)

Bought My Spector direct from Germany, as i thought the U.K. stores were charging way too much! (As usual)

Going to order a NS4CRFM after Christmas from ?? somewhere in the U.K. that gives me the best deal.

15. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    The spector is just overall a great sounding and playing bass, live and studio.

I've attached a picture of my NS4CRFM

16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    In the 80's when Kramer owned Spector, ALOT popular band had Spector bass & Kramer guitar indorsements. If you look @ all the bands that had Spector basses, you'll be sure to see a Kramer Guitar. :)

17. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    BassMan2000

yours is one of the most beautiful Spector i have ever seen!!!

18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I recorded a couple cd's with a NS5-XL. Sounded great. Go to www.craigjackson.com to hear sound bites

Rob

19. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    BassMan2000 i want that bass!!!!! I have the same bass, but in a 5 string. I was so blown away with the 5 string in green i'm getting a 4 string in Green when i get the momey!!!!!!

Nino-Brown Good God man u are right! i forgot Krammer used to build them.

I have a Video in the House with Michael Anthony (VH) using one back in 88!!!! Weird thing is Eddie Van Halen on the Spector site is listed as a user of them. Michael Anthony only used one for a short time, must of not liked them that much.

I'm Sure the Extreme had the Spector sound. I always thought the bass tone on Extreme albums (bar the first one) was always top notch really cut through the mix.

20. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Thanks Barroso,RealBK your comments are apperciated,it looks even better in person :D