Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS4CRFM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Ok, the Spector thing is slowly breaking me down... I really need a smiley for "creepy" right here!

Tried what was supposed to be a used NS2 at GC the other day and it didn't impress me in the least. Bad setup, bad finger attack sound, no lows without boosting the bass control all the way up, no mids except for that nasty bridge-J honk that most people seem to think passes for "growl"... fugettaboutit.

Today I went to a music store I'd never been to before. I wanted to get some flatwounds for my P Bass and this was the only place that had them in stock. Turns out the place has more guitars than GC. They had a couple of items on the "wall of bass" that are pretty rare to see in most retail stores, like a Jackson KBX Kelly and an Epiphone Flying V bass. I tried about 5 basses and suddenly came across a black stain Czech Spector NS4CRFM. Figured what the hey, and tried it out. This thing was set up PERFECT and may be the best playing bass I've ever tried. I was blown away.

I didn't bother plugging it in because the store was closing, the price tag said $1500, and I still have this anti-EMG bias in my head.

But since it played so well, I do have some questions and I know there's a lot of Spector nuts on this board. :D

That price is pretty steep for me so I'd like to find a better deal or maybe a used one. But the NS2 I tried couldn't hold a candle to this one for playability. So the biggest question is, how's the consistency between Spectors? I've NEVER bought a bass I couldn't play first and see how it plays and feels in my hands. But I see so many people buying online without trying things, is it actually possible another one of the same model would play just as well? Or should I run back there and buy this one before someone else does??

How about the new models with the Aguilar preamp? Does the Aggie let you get more low mids out of those EMG's, or is it just the same old EMG boom/honk knob?

The nut was cut like a Ric, with the strings sitting all the way down inside the groove. I'm used to a traditional nut where only half the string sits in the groove. The strings on it were pretty light, so I'm worried about changing to a heavier string gauge on a nut like this. Would I have to file out the nut grooves? How about stringing it BEAD? Brendan may be the only one on the board who's done that...

Since I'm used to bolt-on basses combined with more midrangey pickups, I might like the sound of a Spector US bolt-on. But how does the playability compare to the Czech neck-thru? And how does the pickup sound compare to the typically more aggressive P/J config?

That's it for now. Thanks in advance for the replies, Spector-heads fire away!

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I have had 12 Spectors and still have 8 of them and waiting for my new Amber NS4CRFM. I have never had an instrumment I can rely on so much for tone and quality. This is why I recommend it HIGHLY. I prefer the neck-thru's to the bolts.

I played a US bolt on a couple of months ago and liked it a lot but something about bolt on's that doesn't work with me, my personal preference.

The new NS4CRFM's come with a Spector built preamp. PJ has told me that the sound is rounder than the previous Aggie and EMG pre's. The EQ is boost only.

GOOD LUCK

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Thx for the reply FAS. And yes, a "rounder" sound is what I'm looking for, even if you didn't answer any of my other questions... so if I'm looking at one in a store, is there any way to identify it as a 2003 with the new Spector preamp? Lots of stores have "new" 2002 and 2001 models still racked on the wall...

And since you've had 12 of them, you should certainly be qualified to evaluate their consistency. Does the playability vary a lot between them, or not much at all?