Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS5CR?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, May 21, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Umm, what do you Spector-afficinados think about the older NS5CR? I'm talking about the models which are 34" scale with solid finishes I believe.

I'm not really looking for a new bass but I noticed that certain store in Europe is blowing them out..

..for $500..

:eek: :eek: :eek:

..Help, help, awful GAS..

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, I have a 34" scale NS5CR with a Blueburst finish! It's absolutely lovely. I don't even find the B string a problem on it, it's nice and tight (even with the 34" scale).

Now, I'm guessing that you've found the store that I just ordered a 4 string and a 5 string from - yeah I couldn't resist it. I figured if they're not what I'm looking for I can return them - if it's the same store they have a good returns policy, or I can sell 'em on and in our local market at least get my money back (possibly even a small profit)

I have found out a lot about them - PM me for more details!

3. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, What store in europe is selling them at this price?

Thanks.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It's a GREAT BASS. And for $500, buy 2. :)

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Thanks for the opinions, Nino, Johnny, Josh.. I just ordered mine :D

I probably have to go for my savings account for the $500, but I got almost certain job during the summer so I'll put it back then. Some things just can't wait.

RealBK, as soon as the store mails me the confirmation, I'll let you know ;)

6. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, Look forward to hearing from you.

RealBK

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I just did!!!:)

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Okies, got the confirmation today, the store is Musikhaus Thomann, their webstore is at www.thomann.de .

One notice tho, it seems to be some kind of freaky model with no-name electronics and pups on it. Johnny suspects it would be one of the Kramer-era SSDs.

But even if the electronics have to be replaced, it's still a good price.

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i say that is a good deal.
    i just bought a ssd ns-94
    and it is awsome!!!!
    just look at the "just got my new bass" thread.

10. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, I notice the SPECTOR NS5 only comes in black, but do they come with EMG pickups? i have e-mailed before i place my order.

Any good links to a better picture of this exact bass? It looks to have crown inlays which is very nice!

How much were these basses when they first came out?

I notice they also have the Fender Geddy Lee bass!
    GBP 500+ is that a good price? they are quite hard to get hold of in the U.K.. Come to think of it is it a good bass?

I have also e-mailed to ask if they plan on stocking the new SPECTOR NS4CRFM (Czech model) just to see what price they will go for.

It really is a great web page!
    Nathan East bass (Good Price)
    YAMAHA TRB5II (Good price)

See ya!

11. I have a natural oil finished NS5CRFM that is a 34 scale and so I'm a proud daddy. It has EMGs, and sounds great, but I just can't get use to the small body that easy.

It seems like they were designed for slapping, although I'm not a very good slapper.

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I know what ya mean about the small body. I love the sound, but since I'm a big guy, I think the Spector looks weird on me.

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i am a small guy so it fits me perfect!
    i think i might actually keep this bass more than a month. but to soon to tell!!!!!
    i find it a little dificult to pop on this bass

steve

14. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Are the Pickups on the SPECTOR NS5CR EMG?
    As i'm thinking of ordering from that web page that is selling them for cheap. anyone post a pic of the bass?

Thanks.

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I've just received the NS5CR that I ordered, when I get home form work I'll unpack it. Two points, the pickups in the one that Thomann are selling are not EMG - I phoned and they told me this, they are active, but not EMG. The ones they have do not macth the picture as they have dot inlays - again I was told this on the phone!

I'll confirm this when I go home - I'll post tomorrow to let you all know how it is, credit cards at the ready!!!

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I wonder if Musician's Friend is selling the same bass, see the product picture here:

[​IMG]

Dot inlays, no markings on the pups.

17. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that looks just like my spector!

18. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yea, it does, but the upper horn is a bit rounder, indicating it's Czech-made.

Now when I look at yours, is there some text on the pickups? MF's pic looks like there might be similar text.

19. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    mine is a ssd
    korean
    and the pick ups are emg-hz's
    and it is active

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yea, that's a cool bass, neckthru and all, and you apparently like it Mopar :)

How's the string spacing? It looks like it would be bit narrower than on my MTD.

I once tried the 5-string version of Epi Thunderbird, it had extremely narrow spacing(like 10mm or so), but I liked it. I seem to be more fingerstyle guy myself.. Well, if I end up keeping the MTD as well, I just slap on Bartolini 2-band preamp(no drilling required) and I've got nice slapper too! :D