Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector NS5CRFM...or Sting Ray 5...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Spector NS5CRFM

35 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Ernie Ball Sting Ray 5

34 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Eat some carrots and decide after that!

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. Which one should I get? I'm leaning more towards the SR5, not only cuz of the versatility, but also cuz its cheaper...

What do you all think?

2. They're two totally different basses. It's hard for me to decide since I've owned, and am currently selling, both.

FWIW the Spector seems a little more versatile to me, and I certainly like it more than the Stingray -- but neither bass is right for me. As for you, who's to say? Only you can answer that question.

In the end, try not to make a decision based on price. Go with the bass that you like more.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    right on, da5id.

i was in this very situation. i chose the spector b/c it was what i liked the best.

try 'em both.

in case ya can't make a pilgrimage to bass central, mars has spectors and guitar center has stingrays (not sure if they have spectors there, too).

4. SPECTOR!

I had a SR5 on order until I played a NS5CRFM... now I'm saving my pennies.

--jeff

5. Idk, the Neck-thru Czech I played didn't seem to be able to hold a candle to the SR5...idk tho, the Spector was a NS4CRFM...so idk if the P/J set up would sound any different from the dual Hums...would it be fatter? (I hope, cuz the NS4CRFM was kinda thin sounding...):confused: :(

6. I threw a vote in for the Stingray-5... I used to play a 4-string Spector as my main bass, and I liked it, but not nearly as much as I like my SR5. As many others have said though, buy the you like...

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Very diferent animals........... you must try´em and decided which is best for your style, sound etc etc etc

It´s like comparing a VW Beattle and a Corvette.

8. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Looking at your profile, it would be wholly a speculation on my part that you would be happier with a MM. The neck is more Fender-like for the jazz stuff, and you can thrash about in one as well. I like the three-band EQ on the MM, and the SR5 is slightly lighter than the Spector 5. Yet the Spector is one fine automobile. I don't know....you decide.

9. RedHot_FLeA

RedHot_FLeA

Jul 17, 2002
    spector all the way. much better for the price!

10. Wow, you are good.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too...but idk. I absolutely love my P-bass...but I need a 5-er.

11. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    stingray! you won't be disappointed

12. I'm actually considering a Peavey Cirrus 6-er...against a MM SR5...I don't think I'm gonna get a Spector, while they are very nice, I don't they are me...

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

If you've tried one and don't like 'em - good call!
    If you haven't tried one - don't discount the idea. I've got 3 Spectors now and play them more than any of the rest of my basses! My vote is for the Spector - I don't think you can get value for money like you do in a Czech Spector!

Happy Hunting whatever you get!

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    A lot of people are unimpressed with my SR5 until they hear it. Ditto the 'try both' comments.

15. I really hope you're not calling a Spector a VW Beatle... or a StingRay for that matter. Neither deserve such disrespect!

That said, I'm not a huge Corvette fan either.

How about "it's like comparing a '93 911 Turbo 3.6 to a Audi RS4"? The Spector being the Porsche, of course.

--jeff

16. I want both. I WILL own both.

Um, truly a case of 'decide for youself'.

17. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Should I get the SUV (Stingray) or sports car (Spector)

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Carrots.. yes.. carrots

19. i would tip the scale toward the Spector over the SR5 simply because i feel you get more bass for the money. i sell both and both companies make a great bass with comparable selling prices(new,of course!) for me, i LOVE my Spector. i've played alot of different basses; various Ibanez, MM, Yamaha, Conklin, Warwick, Fender, etc. but the Spector had the vibe, plain & simple! Best of luck in your purchase, both basses are pretty much 99% suck-free!!!

20. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    I have played both and the spector has better string spacing and i like the way emg’s sound. the music man has a lot of really good lows. But the spector has great low and 'bright' highs which the versatile bassist needs. (IMO).