1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector NS5XL Pickup Variations/Opinions Please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleevey55, Nov 29, 2018.

1. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    I have several Spectors and was thinking of trying a different pickup config in my NS5XL. It currently has the 2 DCs' in it with the 18v haz. I have been told that some people put a 40P in the neck position to get closer to that original Spector tone. Wouldnt i want to change the bridge pickup to a 40J? Id like to hear your experiences and ideas! Thanks in advance!

2. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

Apr 28, 2009
    Kansas
    Put the 40P in the neck and leave the dc in the bridge. A regular j will lose some heft on the bridge.

sleevey55 likes this.
  3. oaklandthumb

oaklandthumb

Nov 12, 2014
    Midwest USA
    Ive owned about 6 spectors, forte 5's and NS5XL's.

At one point i had all the pickup combos in 3 different spectors, my favorite being the EMG 40 P/J combo, followed by the EMG 40DC bridge 40P neck.

Not a fan of the double DC sound. I do like 3 band pres but the spector HAZ is hard to beat for sheer nasty metal clang and punch

sleevey55 likes this.
  4. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Put the 40P5 in tonight........really dig it! I have a new Euro LTD that sounds so close to my NS5XL so I wanted something different. Glad I made the swap and with the EMG quick cables, it only took 20 minutes!