spector olp model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by randallpants, Oct 18, 2003.

1. do any of you guys know what this is all about i found one that looks like it will be pretty sweet and i love spectors. can i get an opinion? the said their the same company that made the less expience Ernie Ball basses
  2. I'm not sure what your question is but you can read about basses. HERE

MAY 31 2003 - CINCINNATI, OHIO - The agreement between OLP, builder of "Officially Licensed Products," and Stuart Spector Designs Ltd., has resulted in an exciting new line of OLP bass and guitar models to be shown at the Summer NAMM show in Nashville. All of the instruments emulate the quality and design characteristics that have made Spector instruments such a success with musicians.

The OLP SB4 4-string bass features the distinctive shape of the Spector NS model and is offered in beautiful transparent Red and Black finishes with real Quilted Maple Tops. A sharp Metallic Blue finish is also available. The headstock is based on the classic Spector 2+2 design with a Gloss Black finish on the front. Body wood is Basswood; the neck is Maple with a Natural Satin finish; and the fingerboard is Rosewood with 24 Extra Jumbo frets. Two EMG SSD (Stuart Spector Design) pick-ups handle the signal, providing a strong tone, rich in harmonics.

The OLP SB5 5-string bass model offers the same principal features and is available in Trans Black and Trans Blue finishes, each with a Quilted Maple Top. The headstock is a 3 + 2 design. Again, pickups are EMG SSD.
    Applying the distinctive Spector design elements to a guitar, OLP is proud to introduce the SG1, a unique guitar with the look and feel associated with Spector. Offered in Trans Black and Trans Red finishes with Quilted Maple Tops, the SG1 models feature a Maple neck with Rosewood fingerboard; 24 Jumbo frets; 3+3 headstock design; String-Thru-Body bridge with Tune-O-Matic-type bridge; Chrome hardware; and two EMG SSD Humbucking pick-ups.

"We think that players who seek the look and feel of a Spector instrument, but are not yet ready to step up to the real thing, will be impressed with these new OLP models," said Mark Hunter, marketing manager for OLP. "From the quilted maple tops to the EMG pick-ups, these instruments are a great value from any perspective."

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    That looks really nice... I've always been a fan of that Spector and the Warwick Stremer's body.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, it's the Spector and the NS shape. Warwick got ahold of the liscence a while back and created the Streamer, although Spector was using it first. I'm not sure what the circumstances are that Warwick got the classic "Spector" shape, but someone here does.

I believe Warwick pays a liscening fee to Spector and/or Ned to keep using the shape.
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    How exacly does someone liscence a shape?? Couldn't they make something like it??
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Same thing with headstocks, I imagine. You can cop something similar, but the same is a no-no.

Ask Gibson or BC Rich.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The OLP Spectors look nice, but i havent talked to anyone whos played one.
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Bad! I own a Spector Rebop 5, I bet they are passive! If so no thanks.
  10. guys i made my decision i ended up buying a real spector to olp ...a spector q5 pro with active emgs! ya buddy got it off ebay for 400 as opposed to 800 list
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Aweosme ddeal. Do you got link?
  12. http://www.spectorbass.com/images/q6ambblack.jpg

thats the link but its the five string version not the six. check it out tell me what you think. Also whats some good preamp stuff i can get. Good tone ideas as far as setting mids, low, highs. You guys rock.
  13. BassJaro

Jul 30, 2003
    are you shure they're active? the stock EMG HZ's on them are passive..........or was the bass fitted with active pups later?
  14. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    So they were actually given the license? I thought they were only ripping the design off Spector.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. No, they bought it, then lost it when the copyright came up or something. Not sure.

It's the NS shape, like a BC Rich Warlock or a Gibson Thunderbird... a definite shape.

I think the Streamers do well enough they cough up for the fee every year since...dunno. There's a thread about it somewhere, and I'm by no means even very knowledgable about it.
  16. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Warwick dont pay Spector any kind of fee for ripping off their body style... they used to when they first started making the Streamer, but changed the headstock design ever so slightly and can get away with it now
  17. They are not the first and they won't be the last!

Look at how many designers use the Fender layouts!

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, that's crazy. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing that each company can't keep THEIR design.
  19. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    just because it looks like the bass its intended to mimic DOES NOT mean it sounds and plays like it.
    My buddy owns a privete music store(not one of the big super type music stores)and personally plays and goes into deep detail with a customer the bass they are interested in buying, or considering.
    And he pulled out of his deal with OLP products because of the many design flaws associated with their products.
    I myself have owned one of their basses and was not at all pleased with its performance,though it looked cool,it was'nt up to snuff !
    I can think of many basses that are better suited for a begginer looking to break into the world of the pocket.
    I am not bashing the product nor getting down on those who own one,just research what your buying and enjoy the journey :D
  20. oddeotek

Mar 28, 2010
    Sammamish, WA
    I bought an OLP SB4 for my son since he wanted to learn bass and he really liked my Spector Legend Custom. After playing the OLP for a while I found it more comfortable to play and it was about 3 pounds lighter. The neck reminds me of my old Ricky 4001 and I actually prefer the passive EMGs. I ended up giving my son the Legend. (he's young and can still handle the weight)