Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector or fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Jun 24, 2002.

1. i have owned 3 jazz basses..and i love them...but for my next bass im thinking of either another j bass...a p-bass..or a spector, what do the spectors sound like? do they have alot of growl if i use a pick? how do they sound stacked up against maybe an ernie ball musicman? im looking for a very versatile bass with tons of growl and punch and plenty of output!!! ive also experienced some bad things with those types of pick ups..mainly a sort of muddiness, i owned a hartke ak-somethingorother, and the pickups sounded like sh*t, so now anything that even looks like that pickup i get scared of, can anyone help me out here?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Jazz and a US Spector (18 volt EMG humbuckers). First of all, a Fender is a Fender, and a Spector is a Spector. I like 'em both...well, actually, I love Spectors. To me, the Spector's tighter sounding and much more versatile. It'll do anything you want it to.

Some people don't like 'em. I'm not one of those people;)

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Which model Spector are you looking to get? I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but I highly recomend the Czech NS-4CR.IMO, almost as good if not as good as a USA Spector regarding sound, playabilit & craftsmanship. They sell for around $1500.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Except sound like a Fender;)

I like them both and they both bring their own thing to the table.

What type of pickups have you developed a phobia of? IME there aren't any pickups I dislike in total, just some bad combinations of pickup, electronics and bass.

5. I am in love with my Spector! It has brightness and punch with a whole lot of versatility. It's fun to play, has great action, and tone. I bought my Spector for under a grand. I played a bunch of Fenders that were in the same price range but didn't offer as good a tone or brightness. Once you went over a grand, it was hard to beat the fender, but that would also put you into a different class of Spector Basses that I didn't get to play. That's another argument all together. Speaking from my own legwork, (the under $1000 price range) I think that you will like the Spector more. The EMG 18 volt pickups are really nice!
    It has a neck thru that I prefer, but they offer bolt-on as well.
    I still want to pick up a Fender someday, but I won't buy one that doesn't sound great, even if that means spending a boat load of money. Just because it say "Fender" doesn't mean that it's going to be great sounding Bass.

Good Luck!

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm comparing my Fender's sound to my Spector. Bad? Of course. I've played Fenders that were a lot nicer than mine. I have NOT played a Spector that's nicer than mine, IMO. I know that's not fair.

So what? I haven't jumped on the Spector bandwagon in a long time:D

At any rate, I still think my Spector is more versatile than most Fenders. I also think it's, at the very least, as tight, if not tighter, than any of the hundreds of Fenders I've played in my life.

And, for the record, there's only one Fender I've EVER come across that I liked as much as my Spector: a '61 Jazz bass. The price? More than twice as much as my Spector.

Oh...I will say this, though: I've played one FMT in my life, and it rocked!;)

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    JUST KIDDING:D

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    LOL!!!!! :D:D

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You're always "JUST KIDDING", except when someone disagrees with you...

"JUST KIDDING":D

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I disagree*.

Actually there could be some merit to this. I get the feeling that people think that disagreeing means there's anger in play. Not me. I haven't been angry about anything I can recall on this board, just publicly curious. Sarcastic? Absolutely, but with love it my heart :rolleyes: :eek: :). I just like to ask what seem to me to be the obvious questions.

*Just kidding pt. II

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Actually I only said just kidding to avoid a long drawn out discussion. I like Spectors but in all seriousness I've never heard one that cover the Jazz bass sound.

The pickup question was directed at Willy.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I'd agree with that statement. But, I'd also go so far as to say that they don't necessarily cover the MTD sound or Elrick sound or Status sound...

While they do not sound like Fender Jazz basses, I think they get a good jazzy tone out of 'em that's useful in many situations you'd otherwise choose a jazz bass.

And, to the long, drawn-out discussion thingy...THANKYOU!!!:D

I'm very tired. I had work AND school today.:(

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    No problem;)