1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector or Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tom once dead, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Spector legend classic

83 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Ibanez SRX 390

49 vote(s)
    37.1%
  1. I need a backup bass, I went to two different stores today. I played an OLP dual humbucker 5 string, which was ok, but didnt do anything for me. and a couple of schecters which were the same.

I narrowed what I want down to two basses:
    a Spector legend classic $1500
    and Ibanez SRX 390 $895

I can't decide between the two. I liked the spector neck better, but it didn't sound THAT much better than the Ibby, which doesnt really justify paying $600 more for the spector. But I really liked both (spector more) and I have no idea what I should get.

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    If you like the Spector better and don't wanna pay that much for it then check out Ebay, they always have them on there.

3. bimmer

bimmer

Nov 14, 2005
    Not played either of those two, but I've had a Q6 pro and an SRX400 in the past, both now since regrettably sold on, and based on that I'd lean towards the Ibby for metal. The SRX400 could put out some serious dirt, and that 390 looks like more of the same to me. The Speccy is a little bit cleaner in tone to my mind, but will probably be the more versatile of the two. Maybe try and check out an Ergodyne EDB600 too, that mid control makes all the difference, there are some nice dark scooped out tones lurking in there.

Still, it's your money and you're best off going for the one you really can't live without. You'll only end up going back and buying it in the end.

4. well I love the mid control on my esp, and if its there I boost my mids. I can see myself getting closer to the tone I want with the Ibby though, the spector was very warm, and I can see it having a low mid growl, but im not looking for that.

5. Freelancer

Freelancer

Apr 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ.
    I hope that SRX390 is $890 Canadian dollars or something. I don't believe it was damn near that high when I bought it new even from GC online. If they DO go for around that price I'll be quite surprised ( in a good way mind you.) Are they used? New? Have you looked up street value on both yet? I'd research the prices a bit more. Especially that SRX 390.

What kind of tone are you looking for? I have an SRX390 and it has a great deep sound with strong electronic that favor power more over tonal variety. Can be a bit iffy in some of the mids. In the end get what you feel is "right" to you and be happy with what you get. Play em a few more times if you have to.

Rock on! :bassist:
    -Chris

P.S. Found these two links doing a fast google search.

http://www.bass-guitar-museum.com/bass-2389-Ibanez-SRX-390-Bass

and

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IBA-SRX390-IPF

Just to give a couple of examples of expected MSRP and general random listings. $890 just seems a tad bit extreme for an SRX390.

6. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Legend
    It will become more than a backup bass ;)

7. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I owned a Legend and to my ears the sound was really thin (those EMG-HZ really lack low end). A SR500 would totally kill the Spector. However the SRX...hmmz...I'm not a big fan of those, to me they lack definition. But the real question is: what's your primary bass? 'Cause your back up should sound similar and also feel almost the same to your main - thus making it a proper back up and switching between them during shows would go smooth and without any additional EQ corrections (otherwise the sound guy will hate you for busting all his set up in mid set).

8. My main bass is my esp (in sig) the ibby's tone was closer to it than the spector.
    Ill try and answer all the questions:
    I'm talking Australian dollars, also we pay around double what the US folks do.
    I liked the legend a lot, But I also liked the Ibby a lot, especially the price tag. The spector felt amazing, but the pups were too warm. The Ibby felt almost as good with really good midrangy growl potential. I wish I could A/B them, but they are in two different stores.

9. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    In this case (and if you really wanna stick just to those 2 options: Spector & Ibby) - if I were you - I'd go for the Ibby. The neck is different, but at least the sound is somehow similar (while the Spector is different in all aspects - this coming from someone who gigged for an extended period of time with a Legend & a B-50 as a back up). I would still try to find a good SH Ibby SR500 though ;)

10. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Lincoln, CA
    As others have mentioned, was the SRX390 the only Ibby you played? If so, give the SR505 and the BTB 5'er a go to see what you think of them. I preferred both of those feel and tone wise over the SRX. (Notice I said "I" so you may not, but I wanted to throw it out there just in case.) Happy hunting.

Cheers,

Zach

11. I've played an SR 700, and although it felt a bit better it didnt have the sound I want, not even close.

12. While it's not an option, I'd suggest a used Euro Spector or Ibby BTB. IMO, they are of much higher quality than your choices.

13. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    i had a srx390 and it was a very nice bass - i would think it is great for metal.... never played a spector

14. Im not really a fan of the BTB's and even used euros are too much.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Then you want to avoid the Sr line in general. With the exception of the Sr605, they all have the same body wood. (mahogany, the 605 is ash) however, all SR lines from the 500 on up to the 700 series all use the same pickups and electronics.

You've said in your first post you liked the tone of the Spector better and the way it played better. Sounds like you know what you want but are trying to rationalize a way to not get one because of the extra 6 bills. Of course I could be wrong.

16. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    Did you even touch the onboard controls?

I killed in a metal audition once with a Legend 5 plugged to a TKO 115, the other guy didn´t do bad either and he had a Warwick Corvette w/ a full SWR rig, they choose me because my sound was "powerful and defined"...i say it was the Legend:smug:

Edit: I´m a Ibanez owner too, go with the Spector!

17. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    personally id go for the spector. but then again id NEVER pay 1500 for it. go used off here you cna get a spector bebop or a spector euro lx for around half.

or if you prefer the ibanez vibe, a used sr 500-900 (all great basses) for between 400-800 (hell ive seen a couple sr500s gor for 300)

but this info only works if you are ok with used

heres a few basses, much cheeper and higher quality

spector rebop 4 with angular
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533041&highlight=spector+rebop

ibby sr500
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=498918&highlight=sr500

ibby sr800 ($250 plus shipping holy crap)
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532543&highlight=sr800

18. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Duh! Of course! :eyebrow: With Spector strings the Legend can cut well through the mix and has a clean tone, but lacks balls (unless you really dig that DD Verni/early Overkill type of sound). If you change the strings with a different brand, a lot of tone clarity would be lost. I tried to use a set of GHS Boomers and the neck warped & became so tensioned that I was forced to switch back to factory strings after just 5 minutes of playing. So yeah, I would take a SR500 anyday.

19. play a bass made from a bass company !

20. just to clear all of this up, I AM TALKING IN AUSTRALIAN PRICES.
    now that that is over.
    I am not looking at SR I'm looking at SRX, there is a big difference.
    Also I did like the spector (neck) a little bit better, but I think that might have been because the bass I played before it was an OLP 5 string which doesnt really have a slim neck.

I really don't know what to get, atm my mind is saying 60%Spector 40%Ibanez. I also can't really justify spending over 1k on somthing I'm not going to play all that often, but then again, I love spectors.