Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector or pedulla

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A Rock, Jun 8, 2003.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    spector rebop or pedulla rapture?
    what should i get and why? havent played either.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Isn't the re-bop cheaper than the pedulla?
    Spector has some nicer stuff.

You will get the Spector.

3. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Pedulla 100%, I owned a few Pedullas and a few Spectors, the Pedullas are far better in tone and construction IMNSHO.

4. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    i played the LOW LOW end spector (Q4?) at a guitar store the other day. i a/b'd it with about 15 other ibanez's, fender's, dean's, etc and i was really impressed with the tone. nice emg pickups, nice neck with satin finish, great looking body finishes

the fretwork was...hrmm...mediocre, but this was a $400 guitar, i'd imagine the phat ones are really top notch instruments

5. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    pedulla will cost 400 more

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I you haven't played either of the basses mentioned above, then you should before you make a decision.
    They are both very different basses.

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    like by-tor said, try them out. i personaly like the sound of spector, mm and warwick and think they are nice basses but i dont like to play them. btw i just traded my warwick for a pedulla and am happy with the trade.

8. Not too long ago I went out shopping to buy a Spector and came home with 2 Pedulla's because I was so floored by them. They are everything I want in a bass.

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Someone has LOST his mind.;)

10. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    This is completely unrelated, but, PollyBass, are you wearing a hair net in your avatar pic? A beret? Seriously, what the hell's going on above your head there?

:p

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    That would be the "French Mop".

12. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    Ah, oui oui.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This is a no brainer. Pedulla.

14. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I've owned both. Sold both. Bought another Rapture because I missed it the moment I sold the first one. Can't say the same for the Spector.

To me, the Rapture has the "feel" of a Jazz neck in a lighter, more player friendly instrument. Action is way low and neck is way fast. The Spector I had, which was a Czech model, felt more "guitar-like" to me--probably the neck radius/shape was not as much to my liking. The Rapture is fun to play and inspires my musicality in a way no other bass has. Both Raptures that I've owned have been single soapbar models, and I've never felt a lack of tonal possibilities.

In addition to being a better made instrument IMO (although to be honest I must confess I've never played a US Spector), Pedulla comes with Christine in customer service and the very customer-centric Michael Pedulla philosophy. I've never owned a bass from a company that showed more interest in me and, whenever I had one, my problem (no matter how large or small), than Pedulla consistently has. Very high marks in that area.

15. pedulla...duh!!~!! go to www.pedulla.com and check it out. They are the most personal busness ever. It has responces of people on their website. I wrote in a while back telling them how much i loved them, and they put me on it. It randomly genorates a responce, but if you see "Nick Hamlett", thats me!!~!! but yeah, e-mail them for a catalog. You will get a personalized letter that THEY wrote, and not a computer, and it is shipped first class. And about the price, this about it this way. id rather buy a expensive bass which is perfect and im going to be happy forever with, then a not so expensive bass, where i will need another in like 3 years, and have to buy another and end up spending more. Thats just my 2 cents (but pedulla man, trust me)

- w00t

16. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    well although i own a pedulla pentabuzz fretless
    and i think it's one of the most amazing basses i ever played, to your question i would answer buy the spector...don't kill me everybody !!
    but im not a big fan of the pedulla repture which you have mentioned...

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    which is better than not having one in the first place

18. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    :D

19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wha....

That was uncalled for.

Once again, I used something there CS, it's called humor, I know it's a hard thing to grasp sometimes. But it's worth the effort.