Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector or Rockbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bigdavis_08, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Bigdavis_08

Bigdavis_08

Oct 7, 2004
    Hugoton, KS
    trying to decide between a Spector Performer 4 String B ass and a RockBass by Warwick Streamer Standard 4-String Bass
    Which would be better for a new bassplayer and metal and punk music?

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think most any bass can be well utilized for metal and punk. Look at Steve DiGiorgio and Shawn Malone- they use fretless basses for metal.

But to answer your 'which bass' question, I'd go with the Spector. Why? Spector Performers generally tend to have higher build quality than the RockBasses. Also, I think Spectors balance much better, mainly due to the strap button locations. I like the way Spector basses feel, balance, play, and sound. I don't know about the EMG-SSD pups in the Performer basses, but the EMG-HZ equipped Spectors can dial in a wide array of usable sounds for any genre.

And while a lot of metal bassists use Warwick, many use Spector too. I believe Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse used a Spector on some of the recent albums. Rex from Pantera uses Spectors too.

If you can, try both out to see which one feels more comfy to you. Sound isn't super hard to change. You can use pedals, tweak your amp's EQ, and/or upgrade your bass' pickups. But if the bass is uncomfortable to play, has serious neck dive, and makes your hands tired, then there's no easy fix for that. And if you're jumping and thrashing about wildly at a metal/punk gig, you definitely want a bass that's not going to weigh you down and fatigue your hands for an hourlong gig.

Another one in that price range you may want to try out is the ESP/LTD F254. It has a 35" scale, so you get less string flopping should you detune. It has EMG-HZ pickups and a body shape that's metal without being cheesy. ESP/LTD is another brand trusted by metallers.

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I saw a metal show last weekend where the BP used Fender Pee :oops:.

Both are great contenders for metal basses. Neither are amazing punk axes though.

4. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Amen to all of that :D

5. Either way, you can't lose, both spector and warwick rule!