Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector or SSD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andreas_bass, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Hi!
    I'm going to buy a new bass. I have found two that I like. Both used.
    Spector NS-2000/5 $750
    SSD NS-95 $550

The problem is that I can't check them out side by side, 'cause one bass is in another city 700km from the city where I live. Is there anyone who knows the diffence between them? I thought they sounded alike, but I didn't play them with the same amp. Both have neck-through, EMG-PU's, 5-string.
    Help, anyone?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    First of all, SSDs are Spectors under different name. The SSD name was used by Stuart Spector when Kramer(?) had the rights for "Spector" brand name.

The largest difference might be the logo on the headstock, so I would pick the SSD because of the price.

3. Metaltronix

Metaltronix

May 29, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Go for the SSD, I personally own a NS-94 and a NS-95 and have done a side by side with the NS-2000. The new models are slightly different and dont play as well as the older ones. What I didnt like is that the NS 2000 has a large chunky neck heel at the body while the NS-95 is smooth. Hope this helps a little.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    go ssd. i had one

steve