Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector or Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Feb 18, 2001.

1. I'm in the market to buy a new bass. I'm thinking 6 strings right now. Tell me, what do you guys think is better(obviously this is all opinion)? And why? I am looking at either a Spector NS-6XL or a Warwick Thumb 6. What do you think?

2. First, let's compare:
    Spector NS-6XL features...
    AAAA figured maple body
    neck through construction
    Pao Ferro fingerboard
    carved back
    albalone crown inlays
    EMG humbucking pickups
    Haz Labs 18 volt preamp
    35" scale

Warwick Thumb bass features...
    Bubinga/wenge body
    neck through construction
    wenge fingerboard
    flat back
    non inlay fingerboard
    Basslines humbucking pickups
    MEC active preamp
    34" scale

I haven't compared 6 the strings but I've compare the 5 string models and although the Warwick sounded good, the Spector has a fuller sound with more depth, ambiance and transparency. Also, I don't find the appearance of the Thumb bass to be very attractive. Ain't my thang!!!

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Every Warwick I've played had a real clubby neck. I own 3 USA Spectors & one is a 5. The neck is the best neck I've ever played on. of course the 6 is gonna be very different. I just love Spectors so my vote is for the original.

4. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Well, the Thumb doesnt have a flat back, its curved also. But, i vote the Spector 6 all the way. I LOVE Spectors 6. I had the privilege of playing the NS-6XL fretles...WOW!

Spector all the way...its not even a competition! But, the Spector will cost you way more. Buts its definitely worth it.

5. Yeah, i was thinking Spector 6 too but i wanted to see what people thought. Also, i don't belive it will cost me more. I'm pretty sure from pricing that i've looked at that the prices are very similar.

6. I haven't played any of the 6's, but I played this one Spector 4 string that had an EMG P+J setup and it kicked ass! My former bass instructor (he quit teaching :() endorses Warwick, and he let me play this Warwick 5 that had MEU soapbars, and while it sounded really good, it was pretty uncomfortable for me to play. I suggest you play both and see which one kicks more ass!

7. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I'm a great Warwick fan, but if you're comparing a Thumb 6 to Spector 6 you'll probably get a more versatile bass with the Spector (and more comfortable to boot).

IMHO Warwick makes some killer basses, but they're not for everyone. To my ears, the Thumb and the Spector were designed for completely different sounds.

Try 'em all!

8. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    LowRanger I totally agree with you...you said exactly what I was going to say.

9. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    nt=no texted

10. i was going to say that too.
    TT how you figure that, at least the warwick looks like it would float.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah...TT, glad you've seen the light:D LOL!!!!

12. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
  13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This is what I'm sayin';)...

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I think it just depends what kind of music and sound you want out of it! If you are in a hard rock band id go with the spector but i play in a jazz funk style band and i cant get a great slap sound out of the spectors! My warwick corvette pro is the best bass ive ever tried for slap! And when i play my soft jazz thing the warwick has that growl you could never get out of any other bass sounds awsome! Id say the spector for most stuff but if you just really like a good swollen growl then id say warwick! Or if you want a great crisp slap then get a warwick but not the thumb! Id get the corvette pro-line! To me i think the spectors have that tool feel to them and the warwick feels like a work of art!

15. JimmyThePlumberMan

JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    CANT get a good slap sound out of a spector?!!?? How can you NOT get a good sound?!

16. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    if youre comparing the Thumb to a NS model, the spector will win, but in the NS-6's price range would be, i think, a Warwick Streamer Stage II. i dont know if they make 6er in that series but they would be in the same price range of the NS-6XL, and in that case i would suggest the warwick...now that i see the prices the Stage II is 500 less than the NS6XL

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No contest. Spector.

At most the US Spector would be $300 or $400 more, and at that price difference it is a no brainer.

Spectors have among the best workmanship of any basses at any price.

18. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I guess its just up to the player!I think Warwick took a good bass like a spector and made it into a awsome bass! But thats just my opinion! I mean dont get me wrong spector is a great bass as well but i just dont like the feel or the slap tones it gets!

19. Spector for sure! I was playing a Czech NS-4 at my buddy's store today and it just slays. Just gorgeous, and the sound, Ahrrgh! That unmistakable Spector growl. I've never played a Warwick that sounded like that!! The only other bass I've plyed that sounded anywhere near that good was a Thunderbass 5 or the US Spector.

20. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Well, like I said in another post, I went to Bass Central today and I was trying out all makes of basses and playing them rather badly. But thats besides the point! ;)

I used to be a very large proponent of Warwick, until I actually tried a Thumb NT/BO, 5 & 6 strings, respectively. They were very dead; no punch what so ever and they had new strings and batteries. On the other hand, I tried a Czech Spector 5 and an American Spector 5 and they RULED. tight string spacing, but I like it that way and it growled and was smooth.

Also tried the Conklin GT7, and that thing was great :) I couldn't tell it wasn't made stateside, in fact I'd venture to say it sounded better than the Warwick.

I'm really dissapointed in the Warwick line now, but I did play a good Warwick 6 string. Streamer Stage I, it was great, but they're too expensive when you can get an american spector for about the same cost, ya know?

Just my opinion,
    Neal