Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector or warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimaera1982, Nov 9, 2004.

1. chimaera1982

chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    Hello am a newbie here, am interested in getting a spector or a wariwick, am divided between a spector Euro or a warwick streamer 4, so far i have onlytried the korean spector notably the professional series,i like the feel of the neck very easy to play and the body light and small, I havent tried any warwicks before though. But ive heard good stuff about em, I stay in Singapore so its not easy to get either of the two, but ill do my best to get my hand on either of them, mabbe id risk the chance of bringing em in blindly as they are very rare here. Basically am looking for a thin n light base, with a small radius neck, 4 string. Am playing more rock-blues style, fingerstyle with the occassional dabble in funk. Am a guitarist tt doubles as bass so cant really use the big basses.
    Any recommendations? :confused:

2. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Hi and welcome! :)

Both basses you mention are very nice and you would be happy to own either of them. :bassist:

My personal choice would be a Euro Spector which is almost as good as its much more expensive US older brother and is packed full of great tones. The build quality, hardware and electronics are second to none and you will have the pleasure of owning 'an original'. :) :smug: :hyper:

3. bubingaboy

bubingaboy

Oct 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I have played a couple of Spectors in New England here. I used to own two Warwick Thumb neck-thru's. So I can only really comment on the Warwick:

The four string I owned was tricked out with bright blue LED's on the face and side of the fretboard. The action was a little high and I couldn't get it down to where I liked it (but that is personal preference). The string tension was tight.... too tight.... slapping could be done but not efficiently.

My six string thumb was the nicest six string I've owned. The action was very low (flat neck radius) and the bass was comfortable.

The downsides of both basses:
    1) The bridge is a two piece bridge that required tapered strings. I real drag since that limits your choice of string you may prefer.
    2) The weight..... oh man.... my six string weighed a ton. The four was pretty comfortable though. Both were solid pieces of bubinga, a VERY dense wood.

The upsides:
    1) Resale value - if you don't like it, you should be able to get your money back (buy off the used market to begin with... if you buy new, make sure you customize it so differently that somebody will "have to have" it... if not you will take a dive on your investment).
    2) Tone - the Thumbs both had a very different tonal quality than anything I've ever heard. It had a bouncy or "boing" type of tone (yes... childish description but I'm not sure how else to describe it).

That's all from me. Good luck.

- Bubingaboy

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Now where was it? -- I just read about a musician who was in a band where the other guys thought that bass should be a background support instrument (and apperently that bassists were some kind of low-lifes compared to guitarist), and were displeased when he switched from a Spector to a Warwick because the Warwick cut through the mix so well, even when they were trying to turn his volume down even more.

I think it must have been in the Band Management forum?

5. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Since you said you wanted one that was light in weight, I'd say screw the Warwick and go for the Spector.

I really like how Spectors feel and balance. The offset rear strap pin really helps the bass neck stay at a comfortable angle. While I can't really say anything about the Streamers, Warwick Corvettes and Thumbs tend to use really heavy woods, and many on these forums complain about Warwick basses neck-diving. Heavy weight + neck dive= a fatigued and unhappy bassist.

If I were to go for either a Warwick or a Euro Spector sight unseen, I'd go for the Spector.

6. chimaera1982

chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    Humm ok, i mean i am slowly inclining towards a spector, based on what the few replies here indicates. So far ive tried 2 spectors (second hand, no new ones in singapore) (sorry not one as i said earlier) One of em is a euro 4 neckthrough, its white w p n pups n the seller said its a custom one for a famous country player, it still has the old spector brand p n j pups. The body n electronics were great but too bad the neck was in very bad condition, very rough, w marks on em, n looked very scratched, i knew if i buy i need a new fret-neck job tts y i turned down the offer.
    The other one is the professional series tt i said earlier, it has the emg HZ pups, the neck was also scratched/rough although less than the previous euro 4, is it a problem w spector basses i mean in terms of QC? :confused:
    N sumhow imho the professional sounded better than the euro 4 tt ive tried, prob due to the emg pups n the better condition of the professional....
    Am more inclined to the spectors couse i like the feel, n the weight, sound wise its great, the professional at least. (although i tried a darn ex US tobias growler after the spector pro n was blown away but it costed like 4 times the price of the pro)
    How much is the goin price for a decent condition second hand euro4? oh yeah while were at it any OTHER bass tt can be recommended in the same price range?
    Sorry for long post

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    The seller of the white bass is misleading you. If it has 'Spector' pickups it is a Korean made Spector from the 'Kramer' period and is likely from the late '80's/early 90's. It is NOT a recent Euro Spector. A Euro Spector is overall a much better bass and comes fully loaded with EMG pickups. :bassist:

The 'famous country player' link also sounds like a desparate attempt at selling as well! :eyebrow:

There is no problem with QC at Spector and a rough/scratched neck is due to the poor handling of the seller. It sounds like the seller is at fault.... :scowl:

A used Euro Spector can be had for between $500 and $1000 depending on the number of strings, condition, whether it comes with a case etc. It is a solid investment and you would not be disappointed.... :)

8. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    One more thing no one has mentioned, Warwick necks tend to be fairly thick if you're not used to them. I've come to absolutely love the neck on mine but there was an adjustment period. Not that it should dissuade you in any way, just something to think about. Mind you I have small (reach wise) hands and can navigate perfectly well on a 5 string Warwick neck. Warwicks have more like a P-bass neck than a J-bass I'd say.

9. OK, I've had enough of you going on about how 'original' spector are! :mad: Just stop it will you?! PLEASE?! In answer to chimaera1982, what kind of sound are you looking for? Woody, growly, and puncy=warwick, smooth, fat and punchy=spector.

10. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Nick, pm me.... you obviously are losing the plot and I'm more than willing to continue this privately. Stop jumping on everything I say or this will be another thread you have had shut down! :mad: :scowl:

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    If you like Spector, I'd say get a Spector. I've had 5, and still own 2 of them just now. A Euro 5 string (an older one, 34" scale ,EMG pups and preamp, dot inlays) and a Professional series REX 2000/5. Main difference is that the REX has Hz pups (still has the same preamp though).

These are really nice basses, I've recorded with the Euro, and have played live with both!

Unfortunately, there isn't a Warwick that I've tried that I got on with particularly well, not that I've tried many! Just something about the feel and tone wasn't quite right! having said that, I know a bassist who has a Warwick (model escapes me, but ti was Ovankol bodied), looked nice, and sounded good!

I'd still plug for the Spector basses though!

12. slicecom

slicecom

Oct 19, 2004
    Toronto
    Personally there is no competition, I'd go with the Spector. Warwicks just dont feel right to me, although i do like their growl, Spectors have a growl all their own (less woody more clean). I cant get past the horrible neck dive most Warwicks have and worse, their deep necks. I suppose i could adjust to it over time, and maybe sometime in the future i will. But when theres a bass that feels, looks and plays better (IMO of course) then there is really no competition. I would do my very best to try both before buying though! But yea add another check in the Spector column.

13. It all depends what sound chiamera1982 is lookin for! We need to know before we can help them.

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Ahh, but sound is only part of the equation. The best sounding bass on Earth is useless to a person if it's uncomfortable for him/her to play. A bass that's not comfortable would make a person not want to play it, or even dread playing it.

And from what I read, chimaera values comfort and ergonomics highly. He says he wants a bass that's lightweight with a slim neck.

Thus, I think Spector would be more suitable to him than Warwick, since Warwick's typically chunkier necks are a love it/ hate it deal.

And I definitely think EMG-equipped Spectors are versatile, soundwise. The EMG-equipped Spector's I've tried allowed me to dial in a wide variety of tones.

Of course, my hands aren't his and a good portion of 'the tone' is in one's hands, so...

15. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think an important aspect of this decision is going to be neck profile. Both instruments are great and although the Spector and Warwick Streamer share many features, their necks are quite different. You definitely need to try both and see which is comfortable for you, which one really allows you to play without having to adjust too much. Particularly pay attention to fret size and dimensions around the first position. Regarding tone, as you've already have picked up from previous posts, each line offers a different take. This is only something that you can decide for yourself.

Now being a Warwick owner myself, I can tell you that if you are looking for a light bass then Warwick will probably not help you there. That's just the nature of their products, they are generally heavier but it also contributes to their tone. However, there seems to be a lot of newer developments with straps that seem to be helping in this area. Regarding balance, well some balance better than others, but no worse than a lot of other basses out there. I haven't experienced the neck dive that I've read a lot about here in other posts. I really like the neck profile (I find it comfortable), and love the tone I get from these basses. If you're open to other models, the Corvette Standard is a good choice. Although heavy, I found these to balance perfectly and have great construction quality. Plus you can get a new one at a decent price or a used one an even better price. I got a lot of mileage out of mine before I switched to a 5-string.

Spector basses are generally lighter in weight and the ones I've tried out balance nicely. They also seem to offer a variety of models that appeal to different players. I really liked the Euro models (4 string). If you're budget is tight, then you may want to consider the Legend series. I was surprised by these, good bang for the buck plus you get a nice figured top. These also have great tone but I've never tried one out in a live setting, but the ones I've heard live watching other bands sounded great.

Hope this helps a bit.

16. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    yeah but my wick sounds soooooooo good. yes, the neck dives but i use my hardon on the lower horn to adjust that (which btw i also use for stirring my coffee)

17. LMFAO! :D

18. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I would save you money and get a US Spector Bolt-on. For the description you gave of your style, neck radius and weight issues, this is the bass. The neck is a flatter radius than the Euro Neckthru's and it is a whole lot lighter. I don't think it was ever stated if the Euro you were inquiring about was a Neckthru or a Bolt-On Rebop.

I just went through the same situation with wanting a lighter Spector. I tried both the Euro LX and the Rebop. Though the Rebop was lighter, the sound was unmatched to the Euro LX. I ended up with a US NS2J and I can't be happier. Light, little to no neck dive, the neck is the satin finish neck and it's super fast and it sounds like a Spector with a little more of a woody tone. I am now waiting for my US JH5 I was so pleased.

If you can find an NS2000/4 used I think you will be very happy. The neck is a little less chunky than the Euro and it's pretty light for a Neckthru.

And to the bickering that seems to happen on these Spector threads, "can't we all just get along?".

19. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Amen...! :)

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    1.) This is not entirely a Spector thread :rolleyes: :p
    2.) Now who's started it? :eyebrow: :rolleyes: :rollno:

Now, back to topic.
    You said streamer - which one? Rockbass, old Streamer, old Streamer Pro M, FNA, FNA Jazzman, LX, CT, Phase I or II?
    As you were comparing it with the Korean Spector, I suppose you were thinking about the Roclbasses or the older Streamers thruogh used-market?
    As For the Rockbass series, even though they are made in China, they are not bad, actually, for their price. I'd however go for the alder-bodied Rockbass Corvettes (Basic, Classic or LE). They have a more classical tone and alder is light. They also have thinner maple necks than German Warwicks.

So what tones are you going after?

Also, you said you prefer fingerstyle. For that, IMO, the tone of Warwicks is better - Spector tone is more pick-friendly (IMO, as I said)