Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector or warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkymonkey, Mar 21, 2002.

1. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    hi!
    i can imagine that this question appeared many times before, so i allready used the search-function but didnt find a valid answer for me.
    i want to buy a new bass next time and i found two valueable basses for me. the corvette standard and the spector NS2002B, two cheaper ones. so which one do you think is the better one. my favourite playing styles are with fingers and slapping. i often play funky licks and all kinds of rock. so which one fits better to me?

2. this question we cannot answer. a bass is very personal. you can only decide for yourself.

the force,Luke... use the force !

3. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    hmm, i thought that somebody who experienced both of them just would tell me his opinion...
    the question which one would fit better to me cannot be answered, youre right ;)
    so who played both basses once?

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I like Spectors, I never could warm up to Warwick.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have to agree with seamus - I love Spectors, but for some reason I just can't take to Warwicks, not sure why though!

6. First of all, you are comparing a Warwick that lists for $1200 and a Spector that lists for $520. In this case the Warwick would be the clear winner.

Perhaps a better comparison to the Corvette Standard would be the NS-2000-4 or the Rex-2000-4 that both list for $1050 or the new Spector Rebop 4 that lists for $1300. I have not yet played the Rebop.

There are those here who seem to favor Warwick basses and others such as I that prefer the Spector basses. So I won't get into the "which bass is better" debate.

I'll just say this much. IMO the NS-2000-4 offers more for less money than the Corvette Standard because the Spector features neck-through construction and quality active electronics where as the Warwick is bolt-on neck constructed and has passive electronics. Some players prefer passive electronics and those who do usually don't look to own a Spector or a Warwick bass.

Of course the best bet is to play both basses and see for yourself. After you give them a try, let us know your result!

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I know why I don't like Warwicks - they sound like poo (MEC's bad, mmkay?). They look nice, feel great, play well but I haven't been able to get a useable sound from them. Apparently other people can, which is why I leave them for others to enjoy.

8. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    my local trader is selling a corvette standard for about 800$. perhaps you mean the corvette with bubinga wood and active electronics. but he doesnt have it in store, only the spector. thats because im asking. but it seems that the spector is most prefered in here...
    thx 4 replies

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hmm...i guess i'm one of those weird few who can get a good tone ("the best electric bass tone i've ever heard" - about 3 different engineers, a studio owner, and more than a few producers) out of a warwick. of course - there's a big step between a corvette standard and an SSII.

i've never liked spectors...but they're still great basses.

i'd definitely go used - try to find any of the older wenge necked bolt on's with active - they normally run ebay for about 700 or so.

but try 'em, and buy what you like best :D

10. The priced I was quoting was "list" or "maufacured suggested retail" prices, not store sale prices. $800 store sale price for a Corvette Standard is pretty much the going rate. The store sale price for the NS-2000-4 or Rex-2000-4 is about $700.

Spector website is www.spectorbass.com

11. Everyone has given spot on advice, and they are all correct. I own Spectors and a Warwick,as well as others, if you like a lot of slapping,(and don't we all nudg,nudg) then the Spector will not perform as well as a Warwick, but you do need to aim for an active Bass. Try a few out through the same rig (as near to the same spec as your own). Another point to take into consideration is, a bass that is built and set up for slap, may not be suited to playing rock, and vise versa. My Alembic does not sound as good as my Warwick on rock.

12. LayLow

LayLow

Mar 17, 2002
    I'm getting a spector, they have a really heavy body, I really like them but warwicks Ive heard are really solidly built

13. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    Spectors have a reputation for getting compliments and recording really well. I think Warwick basses have a really farty sound, kind of like a P-bass on steroids, which does cut through but it doesn't sound very high quality. I'm all for Spector brotha man

14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don't think Alexis Sklarevski would agree ;) .

15. funkymonkey

funkymonkey

Mar 21, 2002
    i bought the spector today cus my old peavey milestone3 didnt make it anymore hehe ;)
    i got it for about $450 and it really sounds good.
    the corvette is still a bit two expensive for me cus ive been playing bass for just one year. so im not (too) skilled yet :D
    solong...

16. Congrats on the new bass. Start saving your money and by the time you are ready you will have the money to buy a NS-5CRFM (Euro neck through)!

17. Alexis Who???

Mark King, Stanley Clarke, Colin Hodgkinson,Jack Bruce, Pino Paladino, to name but a few, and not a Spector in sight. My observation was made on experiance and the amount of very good slap players,and what they use and i have never seen anyone use a Spector for slapping, and lets not forget the quality that limited funds cannot reach. The Spector is a superb instrument, thats why I have two of them.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Alexis Sklarevski - the man behind the world's most respected and best-selling slap instruction video.

19. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Here's a link to a little bio...

http://www.videoprogressions.com/alexisbio.htm

I guess you've never seen or heard of Doug Wimbish. He's been known to slap a little on a Spector as well ;) ...

I'm sure there's a sustantial amount of Spector users that Slap in the "Artist" section of the Spector website (and out in the bass playing community)...

20. He also the man in the video who plays a Steinberger Bass. In the mid-eighties when the video was made, I don't think Warwick was doing NS designs.