Spector over olp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corrosivemind5, May 17, 2004.

1. corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004

I have an olp mm3 right now and iam only 14 so its a pretty nice bass.....but i want a better one soon in like 4 months or so....and i was wondering what advantage over the olp would a spector Q5 would have....if you have any tips on a good five string bass around 500 or less please gimme ur ideas here...

thanks alot,
    ben :cool: :bassist:
  2. DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    i think you should wait and save up more, the olp's arent bad basses, i dont think the olp to the spector will be worth the 500$, why dont you save up a couple more hundered and buy something that will actually blow the olp out of the water
  3. better pickups+better woods+better build quality+better tone=BETTER BASS!
  4. It really depends on what your looking for. If you know your serious about bass, and in 7 years you'll still be playing, then take devin's advice. If your playing to have something to do while your in high school, you can find a nice 5'er for around $500. the Q5 is a decent korean bass imho, Spector is a great bass manufacturer. better than any epiphone or fender stuff you'll find for $500. If your willing to spend a bit more, carvin makes a really nice bolt-on 5 for around $650. I bought a carvin bolt-on 5 years ago and it is still going strong, minus small electronic bugs (slight popping now and then). If you know you are serious about playing bass, and like the spector body, save up for the rebop (about $900 I think) better yet save longer and buy a euro 5. Your at an age when cars and girls don't rule your budget, so save and buy now, if your serious.
  5. corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    Hey again guys,

Yeah thanks alot for the advise on the basses.....to tell u the truth i was goign to get the carvin b5.....which is the bass that u were talking about i think.....so could u tell me more about the b5.....it looked really nice and i want to no its pros and cons.....thanks alot... :bassist:
  6. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    I bought my first B5 (Actually a B5F fretless) kind of on a whim. I did not know what to expect, but when I got it, WOW! It blew me away. It was by far one of the best playing and sounding fretless basses I have had my hands on. (It ended up replacing a Ken Smith fretless I had). I was so impressed with the bass, a month later I ordered a fretted B5.

Once again I was blown away. This B5 has a beautiful quilted maple top and is funky!! The tone of this bass is very versatile from slap to finger style (You must take some time to play with the controls to fully see the range). I play funk and R&B and this bass is great for it. You might see other posts about people complaining about the Carvin electronics, but I am 100% happy with them (I play through a SWR system). The B5 is balanced and light weight which is a nice change from my heavy Alembic. As far as cons.....I haven't found any. Plus you can't beat those prices!

Here are my two....

7. alembicfive is pretty much right on the money about the carvins. The only con may be the popping from the jack input that I already described. The active/passive electronics may be a bit too fragile if you really beat the hell out of the thing, like I did for the past five years. However, my situation could be unique, as I have played used carvins in shops without this problem. Also, with the 5 year warranty, if there are any electronics problems at all you could send it back to cali and have them fix it for free (they should theoretically pay for shipping, too, but I don't know if they will). Very helpful customer support over there. The only downside to that is the time spent lacking the bass.
    You should try to find a used one locally and see if you like the way it plays. Another bonus is the free hardshell case. I just shelled out $160 for a case for my Spector. ouch!
  8. corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    THANKS GUYS! I'll prolly get one later this year :p :p