Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector owners, I need your help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danshee, Jul 1, 2004.

1. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Alright guys, so my new Rebop 5 in white just came in. Great looking bass. Like all of you said the action from the factory was too high. After adjustments were made, it played beautifully. Again, like you all said, the string spacing was closer than I'm used to, but it actually forces you to be more articulate and precise in your playing, which is good. So, I'm jammin on it and I'm really diggin' it a lot. Then. I go to plug it in. ERRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Very weird and annoying buzzes that are way out of the ordinary. So, I called PJ at Spector for help. Says there are some blown electronics in it. Great guys to deal with over there. Now, he gave me some options which is where my question lie.

This one is equipped with the Aguilar OBP-1, vs. the newer Tone Pump systems. Apparantly, when I ship it back to New York for a swap out, I could put in either one.
    Which sounds better? Anybody have experience with the new Tonepumps Vs. Aguilar Pre's? I'd appreciate the opinions on what you like better.

2. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I bought one off ebay that has the emg pre installed-still has that noise. I asked around and found that the only resolution may be to get the "real" emgs installed. I like the overall tone better than the neck-thru models so, I'm also considering options to eliminate the noise.

3. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I spoke with PJ from Spector. He spoke about the noise. I guess it's not the preamps that have been installed over the years whether the EMG's, Aguilar, Spector design, but the fact that it's active electronics and passive EMG HZ's. I thought that was very interesteing. I love the sound of the HZ's and don't really find them noisy at all really. If you pump up the boosts you will hear something though. He says if it bothers you to swap the HZ's out with any EMG Active pickup and it's absolutley silent. I'ts pretty much the same setup that you see stock on the U.S. models.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    There is a difference with the HZ and the actives for sure. That is the first thing I upgrade when I get my new Spectors, which is to often :hyper: . I just got a Legend 6 and the neck pickup is jacked and it is being replaced with the HZ again because I want to try something different. The HZ are fine pickups just the same just not up to the Active ones.

5. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois

Do you think they are overly noisy?

6. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    A little more so than the Actives but not so much that they bother me.

7. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Well, I got an email from Stuart Spector. They are going to send me the TonePump. I'll have it installed and see if the HZ's bother me. If they do, what EMG's do you put in yours that you like?

8. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I like the 40 DC's, smooth.

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The 40DC's are great. I also like the 35CS pickups. Check out EMG's hompepage, they describe the differences in the sounds of their pickups.

Best wishes, -A.P.

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I think the pre amp makes the biggest difference in tone. I put a Emg BQC with mid sweep and the difference was huge. Rebops do not have a mid control on the EQ, to me it's the only thing that it lacks.

11. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I got a spector rebop 5, no buzz.. So I dunno..

12. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    What preamp do you have in your 5er?

13. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I put the BQC in all my basses. it's nice to have the control.