Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector owners- riddle me this!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danshee, Jun 18, 2004.

1. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'm getting rid of my current 6-string and am considering a Spector Us or Euro 4-5 and 6 string, not sure yet. I tap, slap, thump- you get the idea, and I want to know how they perform on styles other than fingerstyle. How is the string spacing? Is it adjustable? Sound? Neck thickness comparisons? Thanks :bassist:

2. I have a Spector Euro 5 in the classifieds, you may have already seen it. Anyway, the Euro is one of the best slappers out there. The tone is very clean with a bit of a scoop to it, so it's naturally suited for slap. And while I don't tap much at all, I'm assuming the naturally clear tone would be highly suited for tapping as well. Great for hearing every nuance of your playing if you're into that. If you're looking for an old school tone, look somewhere else. That said, the string spacing is not adjustable but is decent for a five. Its wider than the thumb I owned. The necks were similar though. Rather chunky, not flat and wide like a lakland for example.

Hope that helps.

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    There is no Euro 6, yet. A couple of my Spector brothers and I are trying to remedy this. I own a Euro 4, Euro 5 and now a Legend 6 and love'em all. I play a lot of baseball so I love the necks.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Now, if they could just fix that whole "jazz style neck pup" in the legend series, we'd all be much better off.

Rock the Baseball bat neck.

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario

Only the 5 string has the jazz/Humbucker PU config. Check out the pics of the new 6'er.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    mommy....

My course of action is now VERY clear.

7. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks for the in of, what do you other guys think about the string spacing for slappin'? I'm an aggresive slapper. -Dan

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I own a US Spector NS-4, which I bought new in 1995, shortly after Stuart re-took possession of the company, but before he reacquired the name.

Because it's solid maple with a Pau Ferro fingerboard and 18-volt active EMGs and a Haz Lab preamp, it's a very bright sounding bass. In terms of versatility, the neck pickup solo makes it sound like an active P bass, whereas favoring the bridge pickup is great for a growly Jazz tone. Both pickups on full will give you an excellent modern sound. Definitely not your old-world tone, though.

For slapping, the string spacing is slightly narrower than the 18mm on my 6-string Jerzy Drozd, significantly narrower than the 19mm I THINK MTD 535 has (the 635 is 18mm, I think). I have big, thick fingers and am terrible at slapping, but still can do so. It's wider string spacing than any Warwick I've tried, if that gives you an idea.

IMO, Spector string spacing is better for finger-style, but the tone begs it to be slapped...that's where my own problems with this bass lie. But, if you're determined, slapping still isn't terrible, just not ideal.

YMMV.;)

9. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Well, they're good enough for Doug Wimbish.... and Bernard Edwards had one too! :bassist:

Nuff said! :cool:

10. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    SHHHhhhhh... Don't tell everyone ;) It's a super secret project ;)

I agree with RAM, the spacing is a little close together for slapping, but that doesn't mean you can't do it, because you can, and you'll want to. The slap tone with a new set of steel strings is monstrous. If your a 'sloppy slapper' you might have a little trouble, but that never stopped me :p

11. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    All right guys, your help is all appreciated. So I got out to play one finally. I played a 4- string Euro, and two 5 string Euro Rebops. Nice basses for the money. Both were just fine for slapping, and you're right, they beg to get slapped. I will say if you're a sloppy slapper, the string spacing might be too close though.

12. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    are you gonna get one?

13. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Dunno about Danshee, but I'm this >.< close to getting a Euro 5 at the moment... :D The Spector tone is just awesome, that growl...

Russ :bassist:

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    For some reason I find it easier to slap on my 4 string versus my five? Maybe I'm just weird :eyebrow: Is the string spacing the same?

15. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Well, it's decided, I'm joining the ranks of the Spector owners. I'm working with Beaver at BassCentral on getting a Euro 5 today! Beaver's great to work with by the way. Great service, personal and knowledgeable, unlike the dorknut stinkstars at guitar center. I got really used to hearing " I don't know" as an answer to my questions at Guitar Center. I was out playing mostly Warwicks, Spector's and some others, but I'll tell you, I just kept comin' right on back to the Spector. By the way, I'm getting the new Euro Rebop 5, can't afford the neck through right now. It plays and sounds great though. They are cheap too. The list is around $1200.

16. The Spector 5 has somewhat narrower spacing than the 4-- .66" vs. .75", IIRC.

Mike

17. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Yah it does.

18. If you were going to spend that much, why not get the real thing, a spector euro 5 in mint condition like the one I have up for sale. It's practically brand new!

Rui

19. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I have heard a couple of people refer to the Spector neck as thick, or as a baseball bat neck. Hmm, I have a Euro 4 and the neck seems thin to me. Now my Warwick has very thick neck. Its almost uncomfortable sometimes.

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The 4s are average-ish. The 5s are beefy, especially the older ones, as they've shaved them down over the years.