Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector, Peavey or Yamaha

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UnsungZeros, Dec 28, 2003.

Which one should I go for?

Poll closed Jan 11, 2004.
  1. Spector NS2000-Q4

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. Peavey Fury IV

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Yamaha RBX 774

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I'm looking to buy a new bass and would appreciate any input you guys have for me. These are the prime candidates:

1. Spector NS2000-Q4
    2. Peavey Fury IV
    3. Yamaha RBX 774

Tell me about any experiences you've had with these basses and why you like/dislike them.

2. depends, wat kind of music u play?

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Try them out for yourself and decide which you like best.

4. personally, i would go with SoundGear, i got 1 for christmas, and it works great. except a 15 watt amp doesn't do much for it u need like a 35 at least

5. UnsungZeros

I have tried them all out. Thats how they became candidates. I'm having trouble deciding, so I'm asking for input.

6. 1. Spector - top notch quality down the line

2. Yamaha - not bad

3. Peavey - I have no experience with these

7. What's your price range? What style of music do you play...etc.

Spector = EMG HZ P/U's. Okay passive P/U. Active pre, that seems to be in a lot of mass produced orientally manufactured basses. Gets the job done. Spector has much nicer stuff than this though. Perhaps a rebop? Prolly like $900-$1000 though. Excellent basses (rebop)

Yamaha = Passive HB's and (apparentally) passive tone controls. Pretty basic.

Peavey = 2 VFL™ internally-active pickups
    3-band active equalizer. Would prolly be the best value. I've played a couple and the contruction is just fine.

To me, looks like the peavey wins. Plus they look the best to me. But what style will you be playing?

8. man, yamaha makes bikes and quads, i dislike/hate their instruments, if u want a bass, stick with a music company, if u want a yamaha... get a yamaha 450 quad...
    sry, but that's wat i think

9. UnsungZeros

My styles are very diverse. It ranges from jazz to hard metal to funk to ska and punk. I'm not really looking to spend more than $500-$550, but I will if I find a bass that's worthy of me spending extra cash on.

10. Hi. Welcome to talkbass. It'd be helpful if your profile was filled out better. :D

I don't know if you've ever checked yamaha's logo, but they are primarily a music company. That's why it's 3 tuning forks....

They just make motorsport products also.

I'd trust any product yamaha. Including the seca that I own, I wouldn't have a problem having a yamaha bass. A BB1000MA seems cool.

11. Sounds like you're asking a lot of a $500 bass then :). Perhaps something nice that's used then. The funk/ska/punk thing says something w/ P/J p/u's maybe. Or dual HB's. I'd still say the peavey though. I know it beats a low end spector (A friend would kill me if he saw this ;) ) and I'm suspecting that it'll have a good go against the yammie.

12. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    I agree. But then again think about Nokia. they used to make wellie boots.
    I choose spector. they are so much nicer.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's nice. Yamaha does make other things, but they happen to make world class musical instruments. Their Recording Custom drums are some of the best drums you can buy, their concert grand is almost as valued as a Steinway, and the TRBJP2 is one of the finest production 6 string basses ever made.

Why the hate?

I have an Ibanez Soundgear 6, and while it is an OK cheap bass, I would take a TRBJP2 over it any day of the week.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Now, back on topic.

The Fury series is fast becoming my favorite mid priced bass. I have played several of them in stores, and they are very nice for the price. The electronics are much better than the stock electronics in the Yamaha or Spector.

Of course, you can always upgrade the electronics later, but with the Peavey, IMHO there is no need for an upgrade.

15. appler

appler Guest

I like the Spector out of those three. I used to have one and I could get any tone out of it I ever needed. It's good for all different styles of music (hard rock/metal is best) and looks great. But let your ears decide, don't take it from us.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    What he said. ;)

UnsungZeros,

Since you've tried all of them, what are your impressions of the three?

17. B.Hendrix

B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree with appler - very wide array of tone available from the NS2000 Q4 - I just got a new black stain for xmas. I'm loving this bass - can't wait til after the holidays and everyones back in the band so I can really give her a work out!

I tried out ALOT of basses at this price point, and I thought the Spector was better built, had more to offer and just "felt" right.

Go for it!:bassist:

18. I bought a Q 5 and played it for a couple hours but had to return it (cosmetic issue). But for the couple hours I did play it... the tone was very versatile and the EMGs had nice output and clarity. Keep this in mind...you can add another battery to the EMG preamp for more clarity and headroom. that's what I am going to do when I get it back.

19. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    1. Spector
    2. Peavy
    3. Yamaha
    in that order

20. UnsungZeros

I went out and bought the Peavey Fury. Despite the general leaning toward the Spector, I decided that I personally favor the Peavey. I also managed to get a great deal on it at Sam Ash. The bass and a pack of GHS Boomers for a total of $405 including tax (FL 6% = $24). I'm very happy with my purchase.