Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Performance 4: Good for a Newbie?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nosedivekarma, Mar 18, 2006.

1. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I'm looking to get my first bass and like the look and price of the Spector Performance 4.
    Any opinions?
    Style of music I like is Sonic Youth, stuff like that. Is this a decent bass to learn on? Anything else you'd recommend for approx $300 new?

2. hasadari

hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    I would say yes for the 4 and 5. They are good basses at a fair price and with good quality pickups and EQ.

3. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    If you're looking for a Spector with about $300 in pocket, I'd look on ebay for a Spector NS-2A. It's almost exactly like the US made NS-2's with the exception of the lesser quality wood, electronics and hardware. The playability is awesome and with the active P/J pickups, you can dial in any tone you want. It also features the fully contoured body and it's neckthrough and very comfortable to play. It totally smokes a Performer series.

4. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I have an 04 Spector Performer and although it plays just fine, I would suggest to go for either a Legend or NS-2A. You'll shell out a few extra coin, but you'll be thanking yourself later. The Performer just feels too much like a toy to me, and the Legends I've played are much nicer and have a MUCH nicer body.