1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector pickup upgrades - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Basses&Bacon, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Basses&Bacon

Basses&Bacon

Nov 14, 2015
    Merry Christmas to all!

I have a 2001 Spector NS2000 5 string bolt-on.
    The bass sounds great, for the most part, looks amazing and just feels good to play.
    But (there is always a but, isn't there) I have a bit of an issue with the stock EMG-HZ pickups...

The bass is VERY hot in the mids, partially owing to the basswood/maple body, but I'm thinking the pickups don't help; additionally, the combination of passive pickups with an active 2 band boost only preamp is very microphonic.

I would like to achieve the following:
    Keep the smoothness and warmth of the bass, but maybe dial it back a bit.
    Reduce the microphonic-ness of the system - primarily this.

My brother in law has an identical bass, went to active EMGs on an 18v circuit with an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp and didn't notice much difference, so I'm thinking about going a slightly different route. For now, the preamp will stay, I can only afford to do one thing at a time.

Are there passive pickups that are less microphonic than the EMGs, i.e. Bartolini's', or would something like a Seymour Duncan ASB or ASB2 be better options?
    The pickups are standard EMG 40 soap bar size (4 inch x 1.5 inches)
    I've looked at TV Jones Thunder'blade pickups but I don't see any dimensions, so I'm not sure they'll fit, and I don't know that the Nordstrand's will fit either.
    Right now I'm leaning toward the Duncans, as they look to have a bit of a mid scoop... but I'm open to options.

2. Nordstrand Fat Stacks have a bit lower output and you can get them in an EMG 40 size. You could also get their jazz bar with Alnico III magnets that will have a bit less output.