Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector pickup upgrades

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lockout, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Not too long ago, I scored a nice Spector NS2000-5 string bass off E-Bay. I really like the way it feels, and it sounds pretty nice too, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to give it more growly low end sound, with smooth highs, but I have no idea how to achieve that.

Right now, it's got 2 EMG-Hz passive pickups in it, with an EMG Active EQ system. I was thinking of upgrading to some active pickups, and I'm hoping you can help me narrow it down and decide.

Will EMG's Extended Series Bass pickups help me get a sound similar to this? Or should I get a different brand of pickups (Bartolini, etc?) Also, I was searching through the old posts here looking for answers, and I ran across a few people talking about those EMG-TW pickups, how do these sound?

I know this is a pretty broad topic, but hopefully I can get some guidance here ;)

I'd prefer to stay around $200 for the pair if possible.

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Heh Heh...before you upgrade pickups, try adding a second battery to the active tone circuit, it'll really beef up the sound. Search the threads, the link has been posted many times to the page with the instructions on how to do this.

Edit: Actually, here's the link-

Spector EMG upgrade

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I've already done the 18v upgrade :)

It improved the sound some, but it's still not quite what I'm looking for...

4. I'd say get some Barts, they add warmth to your sound and my Modulus Q6 growls like a tiger. RARRR!!!;) :bassist: :bassist:

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Hmmm...So which model should I get, where can I get 'em, and how much are they? ;)

6. I believe their site is www.bartolini.net

I have 2 Quad Coil humbuckers, but I'm not sure if they would fit in your Spector. I believe they would but I'm not certain. Have you done a search on Spector mods?

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah I've looked around a bit at the different mods people have done with spectors...

They say that the Bartolini M4-shaped pickups are the ones that would fit in my bass.

Also, I have a different question that I probably should have asked earlier... What would make the bigger difference in the sound, better pickups or a different preamp?

8. Drop an OBP-1 in there.

My REX has the same setup that yours does, and I think the tone is great. Not exactly the same as my Czechtor, but still pretty great, and I actually love have two basses that sound different from each other. Plenty of growl for my ears. I usually leave the treble knob centered and boost the bass all the way up.

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, that's a good idea... I was actually kinda thinking about doing that, but I wasn't sure...

So I guess I'll get an OBP-1 sometime and install it... I'd like to replace the pickups eventually too, but I think I'd like to stick with EMG like the higher end Spectors.

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has had experience with or knows anything about those TW pickups, EMG's site doesn't say much about them, but I like the idea of having a versatile tonal range on my bass. Are they worth buying?

10. Or a db-924 external preamp, its basically an OBP-1 in a box. Then you could use with any bass.

11. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Ok I've been looking around a bit at the Aguilar preamps, and I think I might get the OBP-3, I like the idea of being able to cut/boost my mids from the bass. However, since the spector only has 4 Knobs, I'm not sure what to do. I was thinking of having one stacked knob with the volume control for each pickup, then the other 3 knobs for bass, mid, and treble.

Could anyone explain to me what pots, knobs, etc I will need to buy for this to work? I really don't know a whole lot about this... :(

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, go with the aggie. Put a OBP-1 in it. If you put barts in that spector, Stu says I can legaly kill you.

13. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm kinda lost here, I hope somebody can clear this up for me...

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you look at the obp-3 wiring diagram on the aguilar web site, page 4 of the pdf shows a 4 knob configuration.

Also, if you look at this recent Talkbass thread you'll see a discussion of pots etc for the OBP-3. Hope this helps.

15. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    hmmm... that seems like a lot of work.

Maybe I oughta just stick with the OBP-1...