Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Players

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nightsblood, Aug 21, 2005.

1. I just got my Spector Rebop 5 and I really like the Spector strings that came on it, but I know there must be something better out there. It does me no good to know what string sounds good on a Fender, so, what did you, my fellow Spector family, use on yours? Im looking for a string that retains the Spector growl and is low tension like the Spectors.

2. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    im runnin D'arios EXL165's...45-105 on my Euro 4lx. Sound great; keep the growl plus boost the highs!

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you like the Spector strings, why not keep using them. I could understand it if you didn't like em.

IME, going on the "there must be something better out there" quest, I've spent WAYYYYY TOOOOO much money. :)

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Currently using D'addario Slowounds...but they've been discontinued...so I'm going to try DR Black Beauties in a heavier gauge, and detune a half step to ADGCF as well! (first choice was Peacock Blue, but they only make a 45-125 gauge...too light for me! Would have looked nice against the blue stain finish!)

I use Chromes on my Fretless right now, but going to go to either Labella or Rotosound Black Nylon Tapewound...the Roto's come in a super heavey gauge of 65-135 that I'm curious about...this will look awesome against the black stain body.

And then the Czechtor currently has (I think) Spector strings from the set up Jimmy put on it earlier this year in the Saugerties shop...don't like em, sorry! Maybe they're unpolished SS, just don't like the feel of them, maybe I should try a nickelwound set...since I don't have access to Spector strings, I'm going to try the DR Blackbeauties on them to, in the same gauge...though I'd love to see how Red Devils would look against the orange stain body!

Yeh, I'm going a little bit for aesthetics here...but I hear great things about DR, so we'll see what we shall see!

5. I have them on my fretless Rebop 5(*shameless plug: on consignment at BassNorthWest-$599*)& like them a lot. I tried the stock strings, which frankly sucked in comparison.

6. flipperwhite

flipperwhite

Jul 12, 2001
    usa
    earnie ball super Slinky 45-100, the pink pack.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1 to if you like 'em, just use 'em. Personally, I never played Spector strings (bought mine used), so I have no expirence with them. I tried E.B. Super Slinkies on it, too "zingy" IMO, then tried DR Low riders, didn't like 'em, so I tried D'Addario's and haven't found a reason to try anything else. If you're looking for flats on it though, IMO, go pyramids :).

-Ray