Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SPECTOR PLAYERS.................................................

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Aug 6, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What brand and type of strings do you prefer on your Spector and for what styles? I just got a new Rebop 5 string, I have Rotosound swing 66's on it now, I like the tension but not sold on the overall sound.

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'm right now using D'Addario EXL170s on my Professional Series Bolt on and Neck Through basses, but I'm going to try Slo-Wounds after I have the setup, intonation, and modification done later this summer (EMG 40HZs out, EMG 40DCs in!!!)

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    At the mo, I have Warwick red labels (ironically). They're OK, but I will be re-stringing them with Roto Swing 66's now that I have acquired some 5 sting sets of them. At the time I was replacing my strings last time round, Warwick red labesl were the only ones I could get locally in the gauge I wanted!

I'm a big fan of Roto 66's !

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    At the mo, I have Warwick red labels (ironically). They're OK, but I will be re-stringing them with Roto Swing 66's now that I have acquired some 5 sting sets of them. At the time I was replacing my strings last time round, Warwick red labesl were the only ones I could get locally in the gauge I wanted!

I'm a big fan of Roto 66's !

I love them on my Rickenbacker, I just think there maybe something better for the Spector, they sound good don't get me wrong I think the Roto's were designed back when most if not all basses were passive, it's hard to give up that good tight string tension from the roto's.

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    D'Addarios
    I'm right now using D'Addario EXL170s on my Professional Series Bolt on and Neck Through basses, but I'm going to try Slo-Wounds after I have the setup, intonation, and modification done later this summer (EMG 40HZs out, EMG 40DCs in!!!)

why the slo-wounds? But your sold on the D'Addarios?

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I heard that the process used in making the slo-wounds gives a tighter sound,,,if it doesn't, I'll go back to the EXLs.

But yeh, I'm pretty sold on the D'Addarios, as a converted guitarist, they've never failed me yet!

7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Rotosound RS66LD 45-105. Classic roundwound
    tone, good for just about everything.

8. johnnyboy

johnnyboy

Mar 12, 2003
    I use elixir's on my euro NS, i did break my e string at a gig on the weekend, bit to pissed to be playing, but hey thats rockn roll,just recieved a new set in the mail just today, great tone, feel, life span, that and my EMG 45's, through a boogie 400+ makes for some sweet tone!:bassist:

9. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    I've been using mtd's on my ns2000 for quite a while and i'm a big fan of the playability and sound.

10. johnnyboy

johnnyboy

Mar 12, 2003
    MTD's what type of string is that, what type of music do you play?

11. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    They're stainless steel roundwounds, and i've been using medium lights - 45-65-80-100. For music i'm playing funk, jam, classic rock, sometimes hardcore. They're great for slapping too if thats your thing.

12. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I have the DR marcus miller's. They were like $35, wich was ridiculas, but they didnt have lowriders, or highbeams for a 5 string in stock. The slap tone is amazing, but for fingerstyle, it sounds a little thin. and they stayed in tune as soon as i put them on.