Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector...Pre-Kramer VS Post-Kramer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Dec 7, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Which are the better basses, the pre- Kramer or post-Kramer?

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i would believe pre because thats when ned still made them right?

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    there isn't a spector i haven't liked.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    If I remember correctly, I don't think Ned really ever made them. I believe he designed the body and Stuart made them even through the Kramer years. Of course, I could be wrong? :meh:

5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Ned didn't make them. Stuart makes them. Ned helped by coming up with the design - according to the brief history I was given, Ned was a cabinet/furniture type guy and he was asked "hey, can ya help come up with a shape here, you're a design type guy..." (those words mine) And the rest evolved into Spector history =0)

I'd assume that Pre-Kramer and Post-Kramer Spectors are good, but not necessarily During-Kramer. Then again, even Spector's import stuff is pretty good, which likely didn't change in the Kramer days. Having only recently been introduced to USA Spectors, and SSD basses (Stuart's spinoff company when Spector = Kramer), I have to say that anything Stuart Spector makes is pretty dang hot.

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Ned Steinberger designed the classic NS-2 body shape for Stuart way back when.

In terms of design in the evolution of the Spector NS-2, I like the Kramer era and post-Kramer era models the best. It was around that time that the design settled on the EMG pickups, pinched-egg position markers, and the massive Spector bridge, which is my favorite Spector design. There were a number of pre-Kramers that were of this design scheme - Doug Wimbish's main player is one - but I don't know how many were made before the shift to Kramer for production.

IMO, there's no "era" of Spector's history that's significantly "less than" compared to any other. I've played and/or owned many examples of Kramer-era and Czech-built NS2 models that were simply superlative in every way, regardless of where or when they were built.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Post-Kramer work just fine for me. If the pre-Kramer ones are better, all I have to say is....wow!

-Mike

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The biggest difference is that since Stuart re-acquired the company, even before it was "Spector" (it was SSD until Stuart re-acquired rights to the name a few years later), he began using graphite inlays and EMG DC pickups with an 18 volt preamp. These features were the biggest changes since the Kramer and pre-Kramer eras.

9. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    and MAN, the graphite rod necks are awesome in profile - I never played a Spector 6 neck pre-graphite, but the SSD and new US6 necks feel great. Wow.

10. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Amen to that. :)
    I have pre-Kramer, Kramer, SSD and more recent Spectors and they are all of an extremely high quality. There are some differences in tone between the old HAZlab active circuits (my fave!), the EMG, Aguilar & Tonepump circuits but the overall bass construction quality has remained consistent.

Basically you can't go wrong with any of them.... :hyper: ;) :bassist:

11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I had two Spectors at one point, one pre-Kramer (NS-2) and one Kramer (5 string).
    Both were killer basses. I couldn't tell a different build wise as they were both extreamly fine basses.
    Sure would like another one, hmm.....maybe a white NS-2.....hmm