Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Preamp Identification.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StoutXXX, Jan 9, 2004.

1. I had bought my Czech5 used and am trying to identify which preamp is in it. Any way to tell between the aguilar or spector/emg preamps?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pop open the control cavity, and the preamp circut board or box should have EMG or Aguilar stamped on it somewhere.

If you know what year it is, that might help too. I don't what years they used which, but others do, and they might be along shortly.

3. What does the preamp look like ? It should look like one of these 3 controls:
    This is the Aguilar, if your bass is 2002-2003 it will probably have this inside:

4. This is the EMG BTS control, used from 1999? -2002 (approximately)

5. This is a Spector/EMG preamp from before 1999 (an educated guess) that was also used in lots of Czech and Korean Spectors as well, my older dot inlay 34" scale NS5CR had this preamp with the EMG 40DC pickups that have been used in the Czech Spector 5 strings since day one.

6. what are the main differences between the two?

7. and also I realized I have the EMG which I am pleased with. It seems to have a slider adjuster with 2k or 7 written on ti real small... is that a mid selector? I know its a 2 band but am just curious. Thanks.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mid selector or overall gain control. Probably one of the two.

9. an easy way to tell if it is emg or aguilar is that the aguilar is boost only so there is no "indent" in the middle. the emg is boost/cut so it will have a little stop point at the center position.

10. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    The Aguilar will have the Fishman doubler attached to the battery, and it should be labeled Aguilar pretty obviously. The Spector pre is also boost only, but is smaller and usually attached to the cavity, whereas the Aguilar was free floating in the cavity. This is just my experience.