Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Preamps: Old vs. New

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seamus, Apr 16, 2002.

1. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I have a late 90's NS4CR and love the sound of it. I believe Spector was using a 9 volt EMG preamp back then, is that correct?

I haven't had an opportunity to play a newer Czech Spector since they were revised, but they use an 18 volt Aguilar preamp nowadays, is that right?

I was just wondering from you owners out there...what is the difference in sound, if any?

Would you say the 18 volt Aggie sounds better or worse than the older 9 volt EMG pres? or roughly the same?

Anyone prefer the older EMG pre? and why?

2. There are many player that swear by the Aguilar preamp as they are very good preamps. Some Spector owners have swapped out the EMG preamp for the Aguilar.

In my case, I have A/B'd one of my 5 string Czech Spectors that has the EMG 9 volt preamp to another Czech 5 string Spector with the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp and while the Aguilar sounded very good, so does the EMG IMO. In face, I didn't find much of a difference in tone at all. Perhaps others do find a bigger difference. Therefore, I don't find it necessary to change the preamp.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    some use a HAZ-LAB PRE. i know very little about these but i do know that much. nino might be the man for the question.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very Early Czeck basses had a pre-amp that was designed after the USA HAz-Lab pre amps. I had a NS-4CR with this pre amp & I had an NS-4 CR w/the EMG BTS pre amp & they both sounded great. The EMG pre amp sounded better, but not by alot.

I have'nt tried a new Spector NS-4 CR w/the Aguilar, but lets just say, I will SOON!!!! :D:eek:

The newer ones w/the Aguilar OBP-1 have one 9V battery but use a Fishman voltage doubler. I spoke to Mike (forgot his last name) & he told me this when I did something I shouldn't have done!!!!:D Or should I? LOL

5. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Thanks for weighing in guys, I knew I could count on ya! ;)

I really dig the sound of my Spector for some things, and lately, I've been picking it up more often. I was curious whether the revised models get roughly the same sound as the older ones.

Glad to hear they didn't mess with a good thing!

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    From my own experience, with every passing year, the Spector Czech line of basses has gotten BETTER & BETTER!!!! I own & have owned some really nice USA models & Czechs at the same time & the Czechs are just as good, if not <b>AS GOOD</b>, in every way as the USA models in craftsmanship, quality, customer service & attention to detail.

My hat comes of to you, Stuart.