Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Pro-Q vs. the new Legend Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hammer2748, Sep 27, 2004.

1. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Hi all. Just wondering if anyone's had experience with both the Spector NS2000 Pro Q series AND the Spector Legend Series basses. If so, what were those experiences (beyond the obvious as in the NS style body and the stacked bass/treble boost/cut) relative to sound, fit, finish, etc..

I bought my Spector Pro-Q in January and then once the Legends hit the stores, I tried them out in the store and they seemed pretty good solo, but I haven't heard them in the mix yet and that's where it really counts, at least for me. I do know my Pro-Q sits nicely in the mix. The only reason I'm even considering making the move is that the NS curved body really feels comfortable. If I make the jump, I'd have to trade up to one, so I'm reluctant to give up what I know I have for something I'm not sure of. Feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Hammer

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    The Legend series is definitely a step above the Q series. My friend has a Q-5 and I have a Legend-6. The difference is huge. I replaced the electronics in my Legend 6 to match what's in my Euro-5's and it just freakin rules.

3. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    That said, might I be better off skipping the legend and simply upgrading the electronics in my Pro-Q? Will the Euro Electronics fit in the Pro Q (as the Pro Q is not the curved NS body).

4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    That is definitely an option for you. Yes, all EMG soap bar style pickups are interchangeable, you will need to change out the pre-amp too since you will probably want to upgrade to Either DC or CS pickups, which are active, and your Q has passive pickups. You'll want to research that completely before you start ordering parts.

5. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks appreciate it. Sounds like an interesting option. It'll be the only way I get close to a Euro-5 ($$$$)!

Cheers,
    Charlie

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Converting a Legend series to the Euro Electronics will basically give you a Rebop and a fraction of the cost. Since they don't make a 6-string Euro bass this was my only option. I am very pleased with the result, you probably will be too.