Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector professional

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by savagelucy, May 2, 2002.

1. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    I played one of these today in a local guitar shop and was wondering if they are a quality bass. the price was around $749.99 canadian. is this a good price?

i'm stuck between the fender deluxe active jazz bass and the professional my next bass.

2. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    you should look at the kind of music you intend to play, the jazz as u mentioned and the spector are different basses...

jazz : obvious
    spector : rock

lp

3. Uh oh...better tell all those rock guys who play Fender Jazzes! Does that mean you have to play a P-Bass with Precision?

4. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    i mean more like, not too many jazz bassists play spector...

i didn't mean to offend

5. It's cool...I'm not offended. But I don't think that a Spector lacks so much diversity as to not be suitable for jazz. A lot of jazz players play Foderas and stuff, not Fender Jazzes.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And the Jazz bass is probably (along with various Rickenbacker models and the Precision bass) the most favoured instrument in rock settings.

7. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    yes a jazz is totally acceptable, and not only that, a great choice for rock bass. :D

the point i really wanted to get across is that our friend here savagelucy should choose a bass that fits (to him/her) with the music that he/she will be playing...

i didnt' mean to instill any sterotypes.
    my spector professional is okay for jazz, but i got it for rock and for slap. however, i'm looking for a 'jazzier' bass for the jazz combo i'm joining. I feel like the spector professtional IMO is not the best bass for jazz/blues situations, and would rather have the sound of a fender jazz bass (or actually a DB but i'm poor :( ).

oh and btw: does anyone know the canadian to US conversion... back to the question.

i got my spector pro. + spector gig bag for $535 US

i am happy with it! but you should look at your needs.

If you decide to go jazz, play around a bit before you buy, i dont' know why, but some seem dead and some play great to me.

lp

sorry, i've :)confused:) been playing but a year...
    i shouldn't have opened my mouth:(:)

8. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    spectors no good for jazz??
    i'll have to test that out

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Which Spector Pro series bass was it? Neck thru? Bolt on?

If it's the neck thru, I'd get that over the Fender. Extremely well made bass, sounds great, plays great, IMO, sounds better the the Fender.

If it's the bolt on, I'd get that over the Fender. Extremely well made bass, sounds great, plays great, IMO, sounds better the the Fender.

Honestly, either way you go (Spector or Fender) you'll have a great bass. The Fender MIM DLX is a great bass also. I personally like Spector's better.

10. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    i played both (neckthru, bolt-on), i don't know which one i liked better,
    what are the advantages of neck-thru compared to bolt-on??

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Advantage? None really. But they are different.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=44002

12. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    o.k. i have another question:

do the professional series have 2 volume knobs, a bass knob, and a treble knob or 2 volumes and 2 tones

on the website its shown like this picture, but the guy at the store said it was two tones

13. All the Professionals I ever played had Vol, Blend, Bass, Treble. EMG BTS I think.

I'm getting a REX 2000/5 pretty soon. The neck-thru's are of higher quality control than the bolt-ons, so they are consistently better basses. However, YMMV in individual quality, so you may find a real good bolt-on or a real bad neck-thru. If you had to order without playing I'd guess the neck-thru would be better quality out of the box.

Just MHO.

14. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    my spector pro has two volume knobs, one for each pickup, and two tone knobs, one for each pickup.