Spector Q5 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 555, Jan 19, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    Deciding between a Spector Q5 and an Ibanez SR405, i looked at both websites on the neck wood info.

Spector - 3 Ply Rock Maple Neck

Ibanez - 3 pc. Maple Neck

Out of the curiousity, when i read the spector neck is made of "ply" does that put the spector neck in a disadvantage position to the Ibanez neck because it is made of plywood maybe? Or are they the same?

2. W32Hybris

Jan 18, 2004
    south Florida
    my toilet paper is 3-ply

it means how many layers there are
  3. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    Ok thanks, so i take it there is no difference in the necks then since both necks have 3 layers of maple wood?
  4. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    My brother owns the Ibanez (4 string version) and I used to own teh Q5, and I must say, that teh Spector is the one to go with, unless you like really skinny necks. The neck construction is essentially the same on them though, as was said. 3ply=3 pieces. One thing to note- the Spetor neck is finished with a satin gloss, and the ibanez is uncoated. Depends on your preference really- I like them both ways. The action on the Spector can go a little lower without buzz BTW.
  5. The only real downside on a spector is the bridge ( one big PITA to do setup ), but other than that they're real nice.
  6. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    Thanks for the response's all;)
  7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    May be a PITA to set up (???) but once you set the intonation, then you can bet it's set and won't "self adjust". The locking bridge is AWESOME.

My vote is for Spector over Ibanez any day. Used to play one, but didn't like the neck.

Heard the Q series is discontinued and is being replaced by the Legend series. Does that make my Q and my Pro neck through instant collectables? LOL!
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    RevGroove's right about the bridge. It's a bit of a pain to setup, but once you do and lock it down, those saddles aren't going anywhere without anything short of a hammer.

Better quality from bass to bass, too. Also have tone. Tone is good. Ibanezs are rather bland, tonally. Spectors growl and zing rather nicely.
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    yah you gotta love Spector bridges.. solid as a rock. There are several clones out there now from all-parts and whatnot that ahve modified the design a tiny bit.
  10. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I would wait until the Legend basses are available from Spector. The Q line is done and the Legend is taking its place. Better pickup configs and nicer hardware. I think it's about 3 or 4 months out.

Good Luck.
  11. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Definitely go with Spector....as for the Q5, yeah I hear the Legend Series taking their place is a great move, but a Q5 might be had for a better price once the Legends are in play, who knows. Either way I suppose it depends 1st, on your wallet, 2nd on what works best for you....but either way, I don't think you'll go wrong to choose Spector. Just my .02. Good luck.