Spector question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lockout, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Ok, before I ask my question, I'll post a little background info on my situation. I bought a Spector NS2000/5 Neck-thru 5-string bass this past March, and while it's a very nicely constructed bass, it appears to have some setup problems.

Soon after I bought it, I noticed that I had to press down very hard on the fretboard to get a clean sound out of it. I assumed this was just a small setup problem, and over the course of several months, I tried quite a few small adjustments to the action, the neck relief, and to my playing technique, to no avail. Finally I decided to take it in and have it set up by a professional. However, after I got it back, I noticed it was still very hard to press down enough.

Earlier this afternoon, I was at a music store and had the chance to play a Spector NS2000Q5, the bolt-on counterpart to my NS2000/5. This bass played very well, and had none of the problems I had been experiencing with my Spector. Now I knew there must have been something wrong, but I have no idea what it could be. I'm suspecting it could be a high fret (or even several), but I really have no idea, and it could be something different altogether that I'm not familiar with.

Can anyone help me out? :)
  2. llomens

Sep 25, 2003
    Sounds like it could be some frets, a bridge hight or a neck adjustment problem. If it hasn't been more than a few days since the pro setup take it back and tell them it is worse or something. They may take a good look and figure it out. If it's as bad as you described then they just gave you new strings, tuned and intonated it. Or they just did a bad job. Either way you shouldn't be satified...

Go from fret to fret looking closely. You need to find the buzz and what frets you're playing when it's fretting out/buzzing.

Look down the neck from the headstock. It should be straight for a few frets then drop till the 12-14th frets and then straiten out. If it doesn't look like that you need to adjust the neck. Make small adjustments. let it sit overnight before you make another adjustment. It will take some time but fine tuning always does.

If your action is very low raise it a little. A lot of people complain of buzzing, when ther action is so low it buzzez and frets out. Some guitars need higher action to play properly.

If you intend to do the up keep on your guitar/s, and I suggest everyone does it them selves, pick up this http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Books,_...tar,_electric/Guitar_Player_Repair_Guide.html it is a welth of knowledge that every guitar/bassist should know...

Wow that's a lot of info. Hope I've been of some help.
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    It's been about 2 months since I took it in, actually. I was just explaining the history of my setup problems with this particular bass. :)

I didn't get new strings put on it when I had them set it up, I just basically asked them to set the neck relief and action so that it isn't so hard to get a clean sound out of it. I could tell they did mess with it, because it felt a bit better, but it didn't feel nearly as nice as the Q5 I played today. :(

The action on it is quite high right now, and I've tried many different heights, so I don't think that's the problem... although I won't rule it out completely. :)
  4. llomens

Sep 25, 2003
    Well that makes it tough. I would have to think it may be the neck. I would contact Spector. They're known for high quality stuff so they may fix it for cheap. They also may offer you a new bass if it's unfixable but you'll probably have to pay some for a replacment.
  5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have both the NS2000/5 and the NS2000Q5...

...I only notice fret buzz if I'm playing unplugged really hard. I would check for fret problems, and as well make sure the neck hasn't been warped.

Did you buy it new, or private? If new, then Spector would probably be pretty cool about honoring the warranty, depending on the problem and the root thereof. However, the neck through model is discontinued (dang it, I wanted to get a fretless one!!!). The bolt on is nice, but the neck is chunkier...I use it mostly as a back up bass, but if you compare stock models the sound is pretty close with subtle differences...
  6. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Well, it seems like most of the buzz is coming from somewhere in the area around the 7th-11th frets, but I get quite a bit of fret noise on every fret. The buzzing doesn't really come through when I'm playing through an amp, but I can feel it buzz, and it just annoys me.

It's just very hard to push down enough to get a clean sound through the whole time I'm playing the note. When I fret the note and when I pull my finger off, or if I don't push down quite hard enough, I get this ringy buzzing fret noise, which really bugs me. I didn't notice any of it on the one I played yesterday, which is why I'm so lost as to what the problem could be. :(
  7. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I just dropped an e-mail about my situation to PJ at Spector; hopefully he'll be able to help me out, he usually can. :)
  8. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I own a Czech 5, wierd man. The only thing I can say is maybe be more specific with the set guy, try a different set up guy. Was this doing this when you bought it? Did you play it through a head before you bought it, if so you should have noticed this. I would wait to see what Spector comes back with. I know Spector have high frets to begin with, but crazy man.
  9. What guage strings do you have on the bass right now?

:confused: Treena
  10. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Right now, I've got a set of .045-.130 Fodera nickel roundwounds on it, but I've used all different kinds of strings (DR, D'addario, S.I.T, Dean Markley, etc.) and had the same problems, so I don't think it's the strings.

E-mailing Spector didn't help me out real well; I suppose it's hard for them to try and diagnose a problem like this over the internet. :)

However, I am going to take my bass in to get the frets leveled... whenever I get the chance to, so I was wondering, is there anything besides the fret heights that I should ask the tech to take a look at?
  11. Make sure to expres that you would like the action as low as possible. Sometimes techs adjust instrument to their taste and it sounds like you want something different. Remember you are the one spending the money so they should try to please you if possible!
    :smug: Treena