Spector Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Les Izzmor, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Les Izzmor

Les Izzmor

Apr 2, 2005
    I currently own a Spector NS2000B. And. The local music store had a nice American made model last year.

I really like the way these basses feel and play.

I'm not really rich enough to go out and buy a nice USA model. So. I'm leaning toward a European model. (Rebop or LX)I like the sound of the passive p/u in my 2000B.

My dilemna. I'm not real up on all the different models of Spectors. I'd like to get a sound closer to a P-Bass than J-bass or anything too bright. So.

Which models would give me what I'm looking for? Would it be better to get one with active electronics and put passive p/u's in it?

Thanks so much.

I hope all that mess made sense.
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Honestly, so much of the classic "Spector sound" is based on the neck-through construction and large use of maple as well as "bright" EMG active electronics that wanting to purchase one to gain a P-bass tone seems an exercise in futility. That being said, I believe a Rebop with it's bolt-on neck, alder body wood, and EMG HZ pickups would get you in theory as close as possible.

In practice, however? Not so much. The Spector sound is a classic one going on 30 years for a reason, and for a very good one - it's unique as only a handfully can claim (J, P, StingRay). You're asking for it do be something it's not, and in the end I doubt you'd be happy with the results. You might want to look into something more in line with the tone you seek (an actual P-bass or good quality copy).
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You're not going to pull off a P-bass tone in a Spector. Your best bet is to buy a P-bass if you are digging that tone.

The previous post makes a good point regarding the Rebop, but read the entire post closely.

4. Les Izzmor

Les Izzmor

Apr 2, 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

What I'm looking for is the Spector model that is going to get me as close to P-Bass as possible. I don't really want it to exactly emulate the tone of a P-Bass. I know that some models are brighter than others and vice-versa. What I really like the feel of a Spector and how it plays.

But. They are just a tad too bright for me. So. I'm moreso looking for a way to get a deeper tone from one.

I do have a cheap Spector with a passive p/u and it's sounds pretty nice. The problem is that all the nice Spectors have the active electronics.

I tried some Warwicks and I also have a G&L L2000. But. I really like how the Spector feels. So. I'm just trying to get a feel for them. It's hard for me to go out and play a lot of different models. I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on Spector for me.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    To get a deeper growl out of your Spector, I suggest the 18 volt upgrade to the electronics. I did it to my Korean Spectors. For all the details with pictures on how to do it, check out this thread I started: Spector 18v Upgrade . I've come along way since that thread. :D

For the $4 in parts, it makes a huge difference to the tone of the bass.