Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by eric atkinson, Jan 14, 2003.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yes i bought a new ns 5 string about a year and a half ago. I love this bass she is my baby! But in the winter time it gets so dry that the wood on the neck shrinks up and the fretts jut out just enough to slice the old fingers up. I had the thought that i could take it to a local guitar shop and see if they would take care of this problem! But when i went to my local music stores i soon relized that i could not trust these idiots to do a good job! I think most of there work is fixing problems on cheap mexican basses! And i am scared to death to do it myself! I love this bass and would probably be sent to prison after i took it to a local guy and he scratched my bass! What should i do about this problem? Should i look into shipping it off to a more expensive luthier? I live in Joplin Missouri not to far away from conklin in springfield! So if anyone is near me and know of a good person to do this please let me know! Thanks

Eric Atkinson

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

Uh, do you store this bass, like, in a shed outside or something? To tell you the truth, ive heard of frets raiseing, but not off and on, like you mentioned. you sure the frets are not like this all the time? and maybe it's your HANDS that get dry, making them easy to hurt?

Just a thought
    Someone smarter will soon be along.

3. I may not be smarter, but I live in Missouri, and own two Spectors and this has never happened to any of my basses. That would be some serious wood movement, caused by aliens, not by the weather.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's not at all uncommon for a fingerboard to shrink when it gets dry, and if the bass was fretted during the wet season, the frets will overhang the board just enough to be a problem.

See if Conklin will do the work. It's not hard work, but better safe than sorry, especially if this bass has a nitro finish.

5. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Naa i play this bass all the time and have played bass for 20 years. So no its not my hands nor do i keep her outside in the shed. (funny thought) I have had several basses in my life time and also never had this problem! So its new to me as well. I would love if conklin could do it but i would hate to ask since its not a conklin! But if you think they might help i would love to take the tour through the company. Its like in the sumer or spring time you can play it and everything is smooth as pie! But when its like this (FREEZING) the poke out just enough to make your hands ruff with tiny little scratches. It feels like someone took sand paper to the bottum of my left palm!

6. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Once you trim the frets in the dry season, you'll never need to do it again.

I have no idea if Conklin would want to do it, but a fair number of luthiers actually enjoy repair work because they make better money on repairs than building new instruments. So, even if Conklin doesn't want to do it in his shop, one of his guys might want to do it, or he could at least recommend someone in the area.

7. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    ok i will give him a call then! thanks

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    also, you could use a humidifier. we have this problem sometimes at work, and a humidifier works wonders.

9. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I have a Spector Professional Series, and the fretboard got warped and came off.

I called Spector, and they said that there is a 2-year warranty on the bass.

SEND IT BACK TO THEM! They will send you a brand-new bass in return!

--Matthew

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ditto, the guys at Spector are good people and will hook you up. Always use a warranty if you can! Ihope oyu ahve the receipt.

11. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I would imagine this would be a waranteed repair, but I would not imagine you will get a new bass.

12. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    A repair on an instrument that is as relatively cheap as the NS wouldn be pretty economically stupid. It costs LOTS to do repair work on necks/frets. Plus it's a helluva lot less hastle to just send them your bass, and have them just send you a new one. We're not talking about a $4500 Fodera or Carl Thompson bass here.

--Matthew

13. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Spector will do whatever they see fit, but trimming the frets to fix this problem is a 30 minute job at worst.

I'm just saying don't anyone expect a new bass.

14. :eek: