Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David-Adler, Mar 4, 2001.

1. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hi to everyone,

especially Nino, RAM and Mr.Dead are asked now.

After seeing that beauty, I decided that I want a Spector NS-5CRFM.

Some questions.

1.) Can I choose between Flamed and Quilted Maple or is it just a what-you-get-is-what-you-get ?

2.) What finishes are availiable on the NSCRFM, just the ones on the homepage ?

3.) What about the Options, can I do any custom order ?

Thanks everybody !

David

2. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Same here....I've been playing one at a local shop and I'm totally hooked. All this talk of Spectors lately has caused a G.A.S relapse.

3. One of the reasons of the big price difference between the Czech and U.S. Spectors is that the U.S models can be fully custom ordered (finish color selection, more color options, quilt/ flame, 9 volt/ 18 volt etc.) and the Czechs are scaled down in options which allow for pre-production. That's why you'll find much more Czech Spectors hanging on music store walls than the U.S. Spectors.
    As for your question as to whether the color options are limited to what's on the website, the best bet is to e-mail Spector and ask. The Spector website may not be totally up to date and more color options may be availble.
    You may be able to "custom" order your Czech Spector with the available options. You'll likely have to wait until a bass with your preferences becomes available and you may get less of a price break in return for this privilage. Your local Spector dealer would be best to answer this "custom order" question.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've only got a tiny little bit of information regarding your question. I wish I had more.

I believe that Spectors TEND to come with a curly-maple figuring (assuming it's a figured wood, at all). I have seen a picture of a couple of flame maple bodies, however.

I would rely only on the source for manufacturing options: call their distributor. You can get that info from www.ssdbass.com

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, I got one of my own:

What's the string spacing on the Czech 5ers? I like my spacing wide, so are these pretty wide, or what?

6. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hi,

as far as I know and played them, the string spacing on the four is about 19 or 20 mm, the spacing on the five is 15 or 16.

If you want one with larger spacing, go over to esh. They can make you a bass with up to 20mm spacing (50 $ additional).

David

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yep, their Spectors 5s have TIGHT spacing.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Everything's been answered!!! :( I got here too late!!! :)

9. String spacing for the Czech (and U.S.A.) Spector fives are .66" (measured at the bridge).

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Which is the only reason that I don't own a Spector 5. I prefer .75" spacing.

Awesome basses though!

The Czechs are darn near as good as the US models, like I've said before, the Czech Spectors are one the the best bargains out there.

11. Exactly, that's why i was saying in the other thread that i was planning on maybe adding in the OBP-1 myself. And yeah, i've already inquired about custom jobs. They won't do any unless you get an American. I was kinda dissapointed but understood. Hope that helps.