1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

spector questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzhed4, Apr 23, 2006.

1. bazzhed4

bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    hello tb'ers. i just recently picked up a super sweet spector from gc and was wondering if i could call upon some of the knowledge on the boards to tell me what preamp setup it is. the tech at gc admittedly did not know anything about spectors. it is as far as i can tell a ns5crfm. here is what i know for fact.
    1. neck thru
    2. flame maple body...not just the top
    3. crown inlays
    4. emg pickups...not hz's, so after researching im guessing dc's
    5. volume volume bass treble is the knob config....just like my ns2000/4 nt
    6. schaller straplocks already on the bass/gold hardware
    i picked it up for 500 plus a well used warwick thumb bo5...i definitely feel i got the better end of the deal here but im curious to pick the brain of fellow tbers toknow if i have the spector 2eq...the tone pump, or the aggie onboard. is there a way i can tell just by looking at the controls? also i noticed that there is a black box in the control cavity that seems to be resined (glued) into the back of the control cavity that has approx. 6 or so wires coming from it and going to the various pots.
    thanks guys for any help you can give. i will post a review of it as i have a gig with it in one week playing modern heavy metal (mudvayne, killswitch, hatebreed, metallica, etc etc.) ill let you know how the bass sounds in that situation.
    thanks again

btw...amp congfig is mesa mpulse 600/eden 410xlt/bbe 362

2. Dude,

Sounds like the tone pump on my euro 5 lx

Col

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That would be the Aggie preamp.
    For many years Spectors had the EMG preamp which has a printed circut board, then around '02/03 they switched to the Aggie which is a little black box.

The NS-CR Czech Spectors have the real EMG pickups like the U.S. ones, not the cheap HZ junk that comes in lower models.
    500 bucks, very nice score!

4. rhythm

rhythm

Dec 4, 2005
    Can't beat Spector's, good choice!

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I agree, you poked GC's eyes on that one. Nice score!

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I dunno...depending on how used the BO was, and thinking back that the Aggies were in older Euros, not being used in the last year or so IIRC...

7. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Cheap HZ junk? The HZ pickups are high quality american made PASSIVE pickups that EMG produces for players that don't like active pickups. Nothing cheap or unreal about them.

8. any pics?

9. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    don't wana hijack a happy thread, but I've always wondered how I could find a stolen bass..

I had a Specter NS-2 (S/N 22) stolen back in 1994... anyone have any ideas?

and congrats on the new Specter.

10. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    94, eh? You might wanna start looking for a new one, methinks.:meh:

11. No offence.. but IMHO those HZ's really are junk! i swapped them out for the DC's in my spector.. and man what a difference! i'm usually a passive pups/active pre kinda guy - but seriously, i think those HZ's were not doing the instrument justice. from what i've read, this seems to be most people's opinions of them.

regards,
    andy

12. Agreed on the pre-amp.....the EMG one, would have a circuit card that has EMG BTS on it (or is it BTC?) So, you have an Aguilar pre....which if memory serves is boost only!!!

As to the Hz pickups.....well, I have an NS5CR with EMG DC40s and EM preamp, and a Korean KREX2000/5....with Hzs and te EMG pre.....both now running at 18 volts and both sing very nicely....OK the output on the Czech is a bit hotter, and the tonal variations slghtly better, but the Hzs IMO aren't anything to be ashamed of!!!:)

13. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    No offence taken but IMHO the HZ pickups are a completely different animal then the DC or CS pickups. I think they sound fine and from what I read, most of the opinions are from people who mistakingly think that the HZ pickups are made overseas and not "real" EMG's. If you were expecting them to sound like the active EMG's then I can see where you would be disapointed but as far as passive pickups go, I like them.

14. bazzhed4

bazzhed4

Aug 2, 2003
    Aberdeen MD
    thanks for all the replies guys.

in response to a couple of the comments....

the bo was an 01 that i used as my main gig bass for a couple of years. i picked it up used on the bay for about 750 bucks and put a LOT of hours on it. so imho i got the better end of the deal on it. it was converted to 18v by a professsional but the conversion only cost me about 20 bucks and consisted of adding a battery connection inline with the other connector already in place.

the preamps that were made by aggie that i have seen...(only the aftermarket ones) were smaller boxes that are in this bass. this box in this bass is all black with no writing on it, it is glued to the inside of the control cavity and is rectangular in shape.

i will post pics later tonight or tomorrow including the control cavity. i may wait till tomorrow as i plan on going back to gc and picking up a set of those gold plated knobs to replace the black plastic ones.

btw....my ns2000/4 nt has the emg hz pickups in it and while the sound is a lot less brite...it still sounds phenominal which is what sold me on spectors to begin with. i have always like the sound of them and even though i still want a lakland 5502 and a sadowsky 24-5...the spector is a nice addition to my arsenal.

thanks again everyone.
    donnie

15. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Specort Tone Pump pre-amp is small black box. It has 2 knobs attached - bass and treble boost. No cut.

16. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    You know what...as long as YOU'RE happy, then you came out ahead!
    :D

17. I'm no Spector expert but doesnt Demeter also make a little black box with 6 wires? It may not be stock, but its not unlikely either.

18. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    For $5000, I'd just rather keep hoping my last one will appear at some pawn shop or something. :bawl:

19. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL

For $5000, I'd just rather keep hoping my last one will appear at some pawn shop or something. :bawl: