Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Rebob VS Spector Euro Neck-thru

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vegaas, Jun 3, 2004.

1. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Hey guys. I have not had the privilage of playing a Spector Euro neck thru. I have had the privilage of the playing the Rebop, which I really like.
    Is their just an unbelievable difference in sound compared to the price difference?
    Just looking for input to help me make a decision. I can get a brand new Rebop for around $800, or a used Euro Neckthru for about $1000.
    Please help! Tell me all differences that I need to know.
    Thanks,
    Vegaas

P.S. Damn my typing sucks. I keep typing Rebob instead of Rebop.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the Euros are a lot better. Overall quality to say the least. Just my experience. I belive the elctronics in the Euro neckthrough are better as well?

3. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Thanks Figjam, anyone else? I am really torn about spending the couple hundred extra on a bass I havent played. Could really use your help.
    Thanks again,
    Vegaas

4. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    I currently own two spector ns4crfm's. These basses were the precursor to the current euro models. I have played many rebops, and the overall tone is definitely different. Similar, but different. I found that I could get more tonal variation out of the "euro" models. I play in a couple of different bands.....from blues to metal, and my spectors nail every tone I need. I think in the long run, the extra money spent for the "euro" will be well worth it.

dee - spector lover :D

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Re-Bop & the NS-4CR are both made in the Czeck Republic whick makes them both Euro Models.

IME, I like the feel of the Neck Thru (NS-4CR) basses better. The neck was more comfortable & I also felt it sounded better. My main thisn was the weight. Being that the Neck Thru's I owned were all Maple, they were heavy. I believe that the newer ones have Alder bodies with nice tops but I'm not 100% sure.

Personally, I would like to get a ReBop bass in my collection. The ones I've played have been medium weight & the neck were a little chunky but not that bad. The nice thing about it is the pickups. EMG makes a lot of pickups that are in that soapbar casing & I have a set of EMG 35J's that are waiting for a nice used bass on to pop up on eBay.

Either way, your gonna end up with a nice bass.

6. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I'd say to go with the neck-through (not that the Rebop is a bad thing). I own both a Rebop5 and a Euro4. I love them both; the Rebop5 is really nice but that neck-though 4 string is just an incredible bass.

Tom

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    First off, $1000 is extortion for a 4 string NS4. Definitely don't pay that much, because if you ever decide to sell it, only those who don't know what the deal on them is is going to buy it. A used 4 like that should be max $900 shipped. But having owned the same NS4 neck-through twice, there's no comparison. It's a far superior instrument in tone and playability and reliability. Get an NS4, but don't pay that much for it. I'm trying to get another one but they're way overpriced right now. I just sold my NS5, mint, for $875 not too long ago, and had a hard time selling it at that price!

8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    If I found an NS4 for $1000 I'd buy it in a heart beat. The NS4 is the USA model, CRFM, CRDLX is the Czech, Euro line. Anywho, the tonal difference is pretty apparent between the Rebop and the CR series. My taste is the Czech. They are both great basses, it's a Spector afterall.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Yeah, the NS4CRFM is Czech. Isn't that what he was talking about? :confused: I thought he was, but maybe not. Oh, hell yeah $1000 for a USA NS4, no question.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    "My taste is the Czech."

Both basses are made in the Czech Republic so you choose both basses? :)

11. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Both are excellent. I have a Euro 4 and it is frickin' awesome! They are nicer looking too IMO. I get compliments all the time.(on the bass that is..)
    So I say go for it!

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    There is a KILLER NS4CRFM, green stain on the 'bay right now. Don't know if you're into that color, but it deserves a look. Opening bid is only $750. If it were a 5'er, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Get the Neck Through Euro if you an afford it, they are waaaay better. I personally own 2 5-strings and 1 4-string neck through Euro's. The new ones, not the old ones :)

Don't be afraid to get it used too, I got one 5'er and 1 4-string each on eBay, both we're near brand new. I bought my 3rd directly from Spector.

A used Euro is better than a brand new Rebop as long as it's not damaged.

The Spector naming can be confusing if your not familiar with the lines, but a NS4, and a NS4CRFM are completely different. Check the site www.spectorbass.com to clear it up.

Here is my new Euro 5 LX

14. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I don't think you are quoting the correct models. If you had a 'NS5' and had a hard time selling it for $875 I am more inclined to think that is was a Rebop-5, or a really over priced Q5. A Euro 5 would go in a heartbeat for anything less than $1000. That, and a real NS-5 is worth about 3K used. Maybe you had a Rex 5? That's the only one that would be worth anywhere near worth $875.

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Ok, sorry for all the confusion. People on my other forum get what I'm talking about. :p

Yes, the NS4/NS5CRFM are the older Czech models, which are now referred to as the Euro models, as both those and the ReBop's are now Czech made. The US versions are just the 3 letters- NS2, NS4, NS5, this I know. But again, for sake of this thread's actual topic, he WAS talking about a Euro/Czech made NS4, hence the reason I just shortened it down. I haven't yet memorized the new naming for the once-Czech models. It's like LX or DLX for certain models. Czech-made neck-throughs shouldn't be more than $1000 used. US-made used NS4's and NS5's are exactly at what you quoted- about $3000 and sometimes less, as custom jobs can get up to $8000+ easy direct from Spector.
    Mine was not a REX, not a US model, but an NS5CRFM, made in '02. :) I've got pics if you'd like to see- amberburst. And yeah, I did have a hard time selling it for $875.

16. I played both and chose the Euro. Both are awesome though. Plus the Euro is soooo beautiful! Compliments galore if you rock one of these.

I'm actually thinking of selling mine though. Its too pretty a bass for me. I'm always afraid I'll put a scratch in it or something. I can't get comfortable on it like I can on a good ol' beater bass. Although they are arguably the most rock solid basses out there.

Here's mine.

17. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Note: I have no advice to give whatsoever.

I went out of town to a shop today to see some different stuff. I've seen the Spector Euro in the magazine ads and didn't really care for it..didn't give it a second thought. Today...found one at the shop...a dark blue "striped like" finish that faded out to black. GOERGEOUS!!!!!!!! It was mezmorizing...gold harware also. Picked it up and I noticed right away just how comfortable it was and how well balanced. Neck feel was great and I don't usually like the paited necks...but I could slide up and down efoortlessly. I hooked up to some sort of Eden head and cab and oh my lord. I play metal with a lil slap and pop mixed in and man o man...I need this bass.

Sorry I had no advice. If I had the money...$2600...it would be mine.

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Nice flame on that top! :) Do you mind PM'ing me if you decide to sell it? I might be interested, but I'm leaning more towards a Q6 down the line, possibly.

19. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    [​IMG] Like butter. Get the Czech.

20. I'm diggin' that shirt!