Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector ReBop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by A Rock, Mar 1, 2002.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    does anyone have anything to say about the new spector rebop?

i wanna know more about this bass?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Haven't seen one yet. :(

3. I got the new Musicians Friend cat. a couple of days ago and it was in there. Its a mix of the American and europe models with a OBP-1 pre-amp. It was going for 979(4 string) and 1049(5string).

4. I haven't seen them in the stores yet either so I haven't had the chance to play one. I do know that they feature the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp which is a very high quality preamp. Unlike the neck through Europe Spectors, however, which feature active EMG pickups, the Rebop features the passive "HZ" pickups.
    But, for those who want the quality of the Neck through Europe Series Spector at a more affordable price, the Rebop is definitely woth checking out.

5. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I've played one!

It was ok.

6. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    spector rebop4 or btb1000?

7. Geez, we're so happy that you were so specific with your opinion. :rolleyes:

Of course this opinion of yours is unbiased! I'm sure you'll spend a bit more time with your Warwick reviews.;)

8. I couldn't fairly answer that being that I haven't played the Rebop yet. I have played the Ibanez BTB 1000, however. I can say this much, the Aguilar preamp in the Rebop is much better than the preamp in the BTB 1000.

9. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Geez, we're so happy that you were so specific with your opinion. :rolleyes:

Ok; It sounded great, The neck feels good, Over all is a great bass, If you like Spectors
    :)

10. TRhe new BTBs have Bartolini pickups and preamps, just for the record.

11. The one I played had the "Vari-mid" preamp. I made my statement based on that. I assume that the Bartolini preamp is a brand new feature or option since it was only about 6 or 7 months back that I played the BTB.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, the Bart electronics on the BTB 1000 series is a new feature. The Mighty Mite ones are being blown out.

Not only is the Aguilar preamp superior to the one in the BTB, but the EMG HZ's, while not the 'real' active EMG's, are at least as good as the Mighty Mite manufactured ones, maybe better.

13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I checked one out at a local music store today. It was a pretty nice bass, but it didn't seem like a Spector to me. I think I'm just more used to the neck-thru Spectors. I played 4 Spectors today, and they were all 5-strings:
    -USA NS/XL5
    -Czech NS 5 CRFM
    -Korean NS2000/5
    -ReBop 5 Bolt-on
    (The shop didn't have a USA Bolt-on, or I would have tried that as well.)

Out of the 4 Spectors that I played, I liked the ReBop the least. All of the neck-thru's had better playability than the ReBop (IMO). The neck was fatter towards the head-stock, and the action at the nut wasn't as low. Sound wise, the ReBop had that "open" bolt-on tone, which is fine, but doesn't sound like a Spector to me. The ReBop electronics are very nice, and to my ears, beat out the Korean NS2000/5 when played thru an Ampeg BA-115 combo (which is what I tested all of the basses with), but for the price and playability difference, I would go with the NS2000/5.
    IMO, the ReBop is different, but it is still a nice bass. The electronics are it's strong point.

Also, the NS 5 CRFM and the NS/XL5 almost made me forget about the NS20005 and the ReBop ;).

P.S. Playing all of these Spectors really gave me GAS for an NS 5 CRFM (I can't afford an NS/XL5 :( )
    Oh well, I had fun :D ...

14. So, which of the basses did you feel was the best bang for the buck???

15. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Definitely the Czech NS 5 CRFM. I could barely tell the difference from the USA Spector. Keep in mind that I'm not really a tone freak, and I didn't play the USA Spector very long because I didn't feel right putting a lot of use on a $4,000 bass that I had no intention of buying.

I don't know if it was good or bad that the NS 5 CRFM the shop had was plumb colored, which I don't care for, or I might have been tempted to whip out the plastic :eek:

16. I am a "tone freak" and I couldn't tell much difference between the USAs and the Czechs either. I own 3 Czechs (two 5s and a 4). I highly recommend them.

If I were you, I'd put in an order for the new green stain finish. If that finish would've been available earlier then that would have been my first choice!!!
    Don't let the plum finish stand in your way of buying a Spector, just order another finish!!! Czech out the finish options on the Spector site...

www.spectorbass.com

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hey, i've got a plum finished czechtor!
    so watch your DAMN mouth! (j/k)

18. :eek: So do I!
    My four string is plum stain. My fives are blue burst and Amber stain. Now if I only had the green stain!

19. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Direct your hostilities towards my typing fingers. :p

If I have to order a Czector, I'll probably just let my girlfriend pick the color 'cause I'm not that picky. I really like gloss white Spectors, but I hate to see that figured maple covered up with paint.