Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector rebop5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clouddead, Aug 19, 2003.

1. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    well for christmas i want to get a new bass. ive had my ibanez sr-305 since last november and would like to move on up. i have played this thing at guitar center numerous times and like the tone and feel of it. i was wondering if it would do well in a recording situation.

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    ummm...yeh...it's a Spector man!

:rolleyes:

;)

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    those spector are great!! you can't go wrong..and they czech spectors are awsome quality, not as good as a usa..but hey alot cheaper

steve

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

If you like the tone and feel of it go for it! I've recorded numerous tracks ith my NS5CR - only differences are the neck thru compared to bolt on in the ReBop (should make the ReBop a bit brighter) and the electonics. MY bass has EMG DC40 pickups and an EMG preamp, the Re-Bop will have EMG-Hz pickups (I've got them on my REX2000/5 and love 'em) and the Spector preamp.

The results of my recordings have been very good (only limited by me as a bassist - not the bass!)

5. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Spector!! :bassist: .. prettymuch any Spector will be great in a recording situation, and any situation... so go for it

6. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

spectors rock! i have recorded many times with my korean spector. it sounds great in the studio! it is such a full bodied instrument. plenty of low's, nice full mid's and sparkly high's.

speaking of korean spectors, i recently checked out a new Spectorcore 5-string semi-hollow body. OMG, what a sound! Nice and light too.

- Tom

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have a Rebop5 Natural oil, it sounds sweet on our recordings, we got a great recording guy but yes the tone sounds great!

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Spector Fanatics, maybe you guys could help me out. I'm looking at getting a Funk/Slap Workhorse. I love the sound of the EMGz cause they are so bright and workable. But what I want to know is if the cost difference is justifable in getting
    a.)USA BOLT ON
    b.)USA NECK-THRU
    c.)EURO NECK-THRU
    or should I just stick with getting a used REBOP.

I've also been looking at perhaps getting a MTD 535, because I really like the string spacing and the sound. But I wanted to know you guys opinions on what I should do if I wanted to get that great Funk(Fingerstyle and Slap/pop) action going on.

-P

10. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Poon,

An MTD 535 (pre-Gibson) could set you back quite a bit, as would a USA Neck Through Spector.

I would highly suggest going used on either bass for sure.

If your looking for a funk/slap bass, you should consider a bolt-on. You don't get the sustain like a neckthrough, but, to me, that's not a big deal, IMHO.

I think a USA bolt-on would be good, but may be harder to find than the USA neckthrough's (that's all I've ever seen for sale on ebay and bassgear.com, for higher end Spectors over the past 4 months). If your going for a 5 string, you also have to decide if you want two EMG J pick-ups or the latest J and Soapbar pick-up configuration for the USA bolt-ons.

I personally owned a Spector NS2000 Q4 in Holoflash Black for 3 years......it was a great bass, but no wear near the quality of the higher end Spectors.

Think it over.......you can't really go wrong with any of those basses!

Go with the best deal you can get for a 5 string to ensure a decent B.

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Bassballs...I appreciate your help
    Does anyone know the going price for any of these used? I've looked on e-bay and that is my only gauge of what is a good deal used. Brand new the REBOPS are around $979 and used I've seen them around $500, so does that sound about right? Thanks for your guys help.

12. Just to clarify, "pre-Gibson" only applies to instruments made under the Tobias name. MTD 535s are currently being built by Mike Tobias and are most definitely post-Gibson.

13. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    bass central had a us rebop 5 string..black flamed body...awsome..just awsome

damn gard...

steve

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok Spoon, I've done some extensive Spector shopping ( i have a Czech 5 string), and here is what you shoudl expect to pay:

Rebop-most music stores and online retailers charge in teh $850-$1000 range. It is fairly easy to find one on ebay brand new for under $700. Used, expect to pay $650-$800 in most stores, if its in good shape. On Ebay you can get one for $400-$600 in nice shape.

Czech-Most retailers charge around $1400-$1600, and that's with no case. If you wait a few weeks, you can find somethign new on ebay for $800-$1200. The 5'ers run about $100-$200 more on average. I have seen 4's go for as low as $600 (used) in nice shape. Used you will probably pay about $1000-$1200 in stores, and $700-$900 on ebay. I paid $1200 for a brand new 5'er with a case.

to cloud and spoon- the Rebop is a very good bass for the money if you get it from a discounted dealer or ebay. the standard $900-$1000 price tag is still fair, but I wouldn't pay more than $800 for one. If you are doing slap, go for the Czech model and thank me later. If you can find a use one with the OBP-1 preamp, all the better. The slap tones on the Czech are clearer and have a larger variety of worakable tones than on the rebop series. I've slapped the snot out of both and I prefer the Czech by miles. The only thign to be careful about is that the Czech may give you hand cramps if your not used to a thick neck.

Cloud- another bass to look at before you buy the Spector (it is an awesome bass) is the Ibanez BTB. If you like your sr-305, you will LOVE the BTB. It has very clear tone, lots of punch, and is an awesome slap and tap bass, in addition to haveing very well rounded fingerstyle tone-it is also very nic elooking. There are a few diffent BTB models, with the lower end one costing around $400 new if you get a good deal, and the higher end model costing around $800. The only cosmetic differences between them is a plain grain top as opposed to teh AA quilt top on the higher model. I believe there is a mid-range model of the BTB as well that prices in at around $600. Personally, in the $500-$800 range, there are very few basses that meet the BTB's quality in construction and tone.
    Here is a very one.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2554721726&category=38080

Typically, the used BTB's sell for about half of new price.

Hope that all helps!

16. spectors are great basses. I went into guitar center during their memorial day clearence and played everthing they had out. there was even a use peavey cirrus. and to me the spectors just rocked. the peavey slapped better but for me, I just slap for the fun of it, I never slap in my band situation because I play hard rock/rock/blues. but I played a rebop and it was awesome, I have always liked the spector look, feel and sound.