1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Rebop5DLX or Ibanez SR3005E Prestige - which is better?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lupien, Apr 5, 2009.

1. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hi guys. This is my first time posting in the bass section and would like to start off by saying hi to everyone.

So i`m in the process of getting a new bass and i`m stuck between these 2

- Ibanez Soundgear SR3005ESOL Prestige
    Bartolini Custom Soapbar pickups
    Upgraded Bartolini USA Electronics 3 band with selectable midrage frequency switch
    Mono-Rail IV bridge
    Mahogany Body, Wenge/Bubinga neck (5piece) with Wenge finger board
    Pics

- Spector ReBop5DLX
    EMG-HZ passive humbuckers
    Spector TonePump™ controls
    aluminum Spector Locking Bridge
    Alder body
    Graphite Reinforced 3pc Bolt-On Rock Maple Neck
    Pics (like thos but 5 string model)

Does anybody have any comments about either of these. They both sound pretty sweet to me.

Thanks

2. JEDBass

JEDBass

Mar 10, 2009
    West Hartford, CT
    I haven't played the Ibanez, but I currently own a Rebop 5 DLX. I'm not sure what playing style you usually use, but I'm primarily finger style. I love the overall playability of the bass. It feels very comfortable in my hands.

That said, it has a good amount of neck dive. That's probably my biggest complaint with it, espeically if I decide to dual up on keyboard duty. I've heard the Euro neck thrus (particularly the 4 stringers) are much better in this regard.

Some people complain about the TonePump and the passive EMG's. Sure, they could be better, but they're not awful either. For most of my playing situations, there's plenty of tone shaping allowable. I might try and throw in some active EMG's or maybe a different onboard pre, but there's other upgrade I'd do to my rig before that.

The B string is ince and strong but tight enough to not sound too muddy. Pretty even balance across the strings.

Hope this helps you.

3. ilovethesechord

ilovethesechord

Jun 27, 2008
    Which music do you play?

4. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks for the info JEDBass.

I usually play classic rock (Zeppelin, Sabbath, Rush etc..) and some "newer" stuff like Rage Against the Machine, Incubus, Sublime, STP etc..

But I just started practicing in a new band and we play allot of blues but funked up a little bit. Funky blues (ex. Rufus Thomas, Temptations all the way to Robert Cray and SRV)

Thanks

5. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Looks like the Ibanez has been sold.

6. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    No its not actually that one but the same exact model and look. Just wanted to show pics of what it was.

7. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wow this forum gets allot of posts. My post moved to page 4 in only a couple hours.lol

8. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    hmmm... i'm a little biased. i have an all alder spector rebop 5. i don't have any experience with the ibanez. only ibanez i've played was a friends 4 string and didn't really like the feel. it wasn't the same model you're looking at, it wasn't plugged up so i don't know how it sounded, and it wasn't setup well for me. so, not a great experience. and not a great unbiased opinion.

having shared my bias... i really do like the spector. i don't have experience with all maple spectors, or even maple capped spectors. but i do like the alder one. i have changed out the pups for active emg's and the preamp for an emg preamp. but honestly, i think the stock stuff sounds great. it has taken a lot of time and pup experimenting to get a sound i can be close to happy with. where as with the stock pups and electronics i could dial in exactly what i liked to hear.

here is what mine sounded like before the pup/preamp change. this is recorded directly into my mac with no effects or eqing. one has the tonepump turned down and the other has the tone pump dimed. then there's a mixed one.

if i were you, i'd go for the spector. but i love spectors.

9. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    That does sound very sweet. It must be pretty crazy in a nice bass amp.

10. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    I would take the Spector hands down. While the Prestige may be nice, I personally prefer the Spectors due to the feeling of having an actual neck in your hands, not something pencil-thin with tiny string spacing. That's just my opinion, if you have the opportunity to, try them both out. You may like the Ibanez. If you're looking for a damn good slap tone though, go with the Spector.

11. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Spector.

12. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Nicely said Your41Plague12. I do want a damn good slap tone!

13. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    But now there is also a American Jazz bass in the picture. lol. Now I`m really undecided. I've always wanted a Jazz, but i`ve never tried a Spector. And the music stores here don't have a Spector like this one. I tried that Jazz bass and the Ibanez in store. I think if I would pick from the 2 the Jazz would be my top pick. I loved the neck on it. But then again the Ibanez a a way lower growling sound to it.

14. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    If you're looking for a slap tone, I would still take the spector. They seem to have an ungodly modern slap tone that just can't be taken away. They also sound great for metal, if you play that. Spectors also have a nice growl to them when you completely max out the electronics, from my experience. If you want a mellow tone, it is NOT your bass. It's very aggressive, and very "in-your-face." I would have trouble being lost in a mix with mine. It cuts through just about anything with little to no effort.

15. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    No I don't want mellow for sure. For playing the funk stuff we are starting to play, the bass really needs to stand out.

16. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    The Spector is definitely your beast then. The Bartolinis in the Ibanez, while great pickups, are way more mellow than the EMG-HZ's in the Spector. If you get the chance though, swap them out with some active EMG's. You'll be happy you did. Spectors and Warwicks are the two most aggressive-sounding basses I've ever heard.

17. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    The Spector is not my cup of tea. Very growly and distorted sounding. Barts are my cup of tea, very warm with strong low mids. For funk I would think the Barts would be the better chooice wereas for metal I would think the EMGs would be the better choice.

18. Your41Plague12

Your41Plague12

Oct 30, 2007
    I sort of agree and sort of disagree, but only due to to a possibly minor misunderstanding on my part. If you're playing nothing but finger funk, then the Bartolinis would probably fit in better. But he said he's looking for a semi-aggressive tone that stands out, plus has a good slap tone. I'm sure the Barts could get a very nice slap tone, but I don't think it would have quite the same edge that the Spector would have. The main difference in these basses (not counting the electronics) is the neck. The Spector has a thicker neck front to back, with wider string spacing. The Ibanez is the complete opposite. It's really all in what you prefer. They're two different animals, each great in their own right. :)

19. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i had an ibanez sr5005 prestige, and although it was nice, i preferred my korean spector. the spector had much more cut in the mix, and imho the neck was more comfortable. two pretty different basses....

20. ronros

ronros

Mar 30, 2009
    heaven
    go for ibanez.love the electronics ang neck.