Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Rex 2000/4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe R, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    I am thinking about purchasing a Specter Rex in the near future any body have any advise on them?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why the Rex model? Why not the regular NS? I have a feeling that design will grow old quite quickly. Then again, what do I know, it's your bass...

Still curious as to why you'd choose that particular model, though.

Will C.:cool:

3. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I don't know..Big Wheel might be right about the long term cool factor but I think they look major phat at the moment. If it sounds sweet and plays great then I would buy it. I haven't seen one in the flesh though...

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you get the holoflash finish, be sure to pick up some Dramamine ;)

5. Joe R

Joe R

Nov 4, 2000
    Wenatchee WA. USA
    I do like the look of all spectors but the Rex has a Thunderbird look to it and i kinda like that look, Plus the Spector name, To me that says it all.

6. Not a big fan of the holoflake paintjob.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I ordered a trans blue w/figured top in June 2000!!!! 2 weeks ago I canceled the order & got an NS 2000 5Q. If you gonna get one, make sure it's in stock @ the store, cause Spector dosen't have any @ the moment!!! & I really wanted that bass. :(

8. wouldn't the Rex model Spector be really neck-heavy with that Thunderbird shape (short upper horn)?

9. I personally am not a big fan of the shape but that's just me. I would say get an NS. Also, i know that i was originally thinking about getting the holoflash, but then i thought about the long term use, and it may be cool right now, but in the long run, it will probably just get old and annoying. That's just me though.

10. While the 'REX' model is the latest to be offered by Stuart Spector, I personally, am not a real big fan of it. As far as the meat and potatoes of the bass itself, it 's really just a NS2000/Q series(non-carved body & bolt on neck) with a re hashed Thunderbird body.

I think if Stuart had the REX line built in his Czech facility it might be different, maybe there they could produce a more affordable copy of the original, as the reality is that the original example is a USA series bass with all the premium woods,parts & p/up's. Look at the ads for it.

Hmmm.. I wonder if the original REX has a contoured body?

Nino - Was just curious as to what prompted you to get a NS2000Q as opposed to the std NS2000 basses

As always, just my .02 :D

11. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I like quilted tops on basses.

I asked Stuart why he wasent making them in Czech & he said that he wanted to but it was hard enough to keep production on the CR models. If he did that, EVERYTHING would get back ordered.

P.S. This bass was made for Nikki Sixx in the 80's. I've seen a couple of pictures of it. Any1 remember?

12. Actually, that was an exact repliaca of the original Gibson body (different headstock, hardware, electronics etc). The body of the Rex Brown bass is a bit offset from the original Gibson body.
    But you are right is saying that this isn't the first time the Thunderbird esqe Spector was around. Of course Kramer made the Nikki Sixx Spector!

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I thought it was a little bigger, but wasen't sure. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those!!!

14. Although I'm not a fan of the original Thunderbird bass, that Nikki Sixx Spector was pretty damn nice!
    I would also like to own the Spector "SD" bass built in the early 90's (really hard to find, a Jason Newsted Spector and a 20th Anniversary Spector)!!! Even the USA Rex would be cool as well!

15. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    THERE WAS A <B>JASON NEWSTEAD MODEL!!!!!</B> Oh man, I gotta find one!!!!

16. I still have a pic of one around somewhere I believe in a older magazine. They were made in the early 90's. They were all black stain, the upper horn was longer and the headstock was shaped different.